Author Topic: Family Bible; Edward Gaskin 1808 Willington,Derbyshire,UK  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Aussie Chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Family Bible; Edward Gaskin 1808 Willington,Derbyshire,UK
« on: Monday 28 September 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
I have recently been contacted by another member of My Heritage for help in finding the descendants of the owner of a family bible she is in possession of. In the 1970's and 80's her father was an auctioneer and importer of English antiques in the USA. In one of these shipments was a Family Bible with an inscription "Edward Gaskin- With many thanks and good wishes _______ __________(can't make out the name but I think it's Percy) Willingham. January 1837." The Edward Gaskin in question was born Jan 29 1808 in Willington, Derbyshire UK. He died Oct 1875 in Burton Upon Trent, Staffordshire, England, UK. His wife was Ann Gaskin (Bull(Crosley)) Born Oct 17 1808 in Chorley, Saint Laurence, Lancashire, England, U.K. She died Oct 1863 in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, England, U.K. The current owners name is Kathy Willingham Odom and it may be that her ancestor is the donor of this Bible. She would like to find any living relatives to return this Heirloom to if possible. I have been able to trace his direct line back to 1428. Very interesting. Many thanks in advance for any help. PS , he is also one of the nuts in my tree being related by 10 steps.
Moore, Cartledge, Pahl, Pfeiffer

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Family Bible
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 September 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
As someone who is missing a family bible can I just say thanks for all your efforts Chris and I hope it is reunited with the family

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 September 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Well done you, what a great thing to do.
All the best with your quest.

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 September 15 17:07 BST (UK) »
Nice one Chris...I might be a good idea to amend the title of your post to include the surnames in the bible and the place name...then if anyone researching those lines googles the name...they will be brought here.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline KableWalker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Bible; Edward Gaskin 1808 Willington, Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 15 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I seem to be well along the road to finding a living Gaskin who might prove to be the logical owner of this Family Bible. There is an Edward Gaskin b. 1861 at Willington, Derbyshire with father William Gaskin and son Edward William Gaskin on my Family Tree :D. All these people are associated with Willington, Burton upon Trent or both places. Edward Gaskin is on a side branch of my Tree by marriage so I have not explored him properly, however there are descendants alive today in Cardiff and possibly Hampshire and Oxfordshire. PM me if you think this information might help you. I have a Family Tree you may view online. :D

Offline vickim2017

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Family Bible; Edward Gaskin 1808 Willington,Derbyshire,UK
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi I appreciate this is an old post, however I have started to look at my family tree and Edward Gaskin born in 1808 in Willington is my 4th Great Grandfather (through his son Frederick Gaskin).  I imagine that contact has already been made with another living Gaskin member of the family tree, however I would be interested to know more if you have any more information.
Thanks

Offline L_ball

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Family Bible; Edward Gaskin 1808 Willington,Derbyshire,UK
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 June 22 00:42 BST (UK) »
It’s a very old post but Edward Gaskin was my great great grandfather on my fathers side . His Mum was A Gaskin , all from the Willington area