Author Topic: Parents of Rev Thomas Moss b c1739  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Wallfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Parents of Rev Thomas Moss b c1739
« on: Sunday 04 October 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I am searching for the parents of the Rev Thomas Moss who wrote the Beggars Petition.  I am related through his sister Katherine who married Joseph Taylor.  According to the Cambridge University records, Thomas' father is Francis Moss, a chandler at Wolverhampton.  This is where I get stuck.  There is no record of Thomas or Katherine births.  There is no will in the NAA website for Francis Moss who possibly died in 1764.  Thomas will was very newsworthy and mentions a marriage settlement document for his sister's marriage to Joseph Taylor in 1767 in Shropshire.
I would like help with 1. the baptisms of Rev Thomas Moss and sister Katherine; 2. Francis Moss marriage; 3. Where I can find Francis Moss will or other information about him ? and 4. Where I can find the marriage settlement document for Katherine?
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated as I live in Australia.
Thank you in advance
Kris

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Rev Thomas Moss b c1739
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi their are these baptisms:-

Thomas Moss 19th November 1739 Wolverhampton, St Peter Father Francis

Catherine Moss 3rd April 1742 Wolverhampton, St Peter Father Francis

Also the Francis Moss who died 1764 Wolverhampton, St Peter was aged 14?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 15 10:52 BST (UK) »
There is also a William baptised 27.9.1736 and Ann baptised 18.7.1746 with the father named as Francis

William buried 16.1.1741 I looked at the burial entry for Francis Moss buried 14.2.1764 and he was buried on the 14th it isn't his age so he is probably the one you are looking for but I cant see any mention of his wife

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Wallfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
 ;) Thank you Willow X.  The only marriage I found for Francis was to Susanna Chaplain on 31/10/1736 at Rugeley St Augustine and this was after the christening of William the month before, so not sure. There are web pages on the Rev Thomas but these do not give his christening date or parents which is why I wanted to check for any other christenings.  Looks like he and Katherine were the only surviving children as I have a death for Ann in 1767.  Thanks also for confirming Francis death is probably the right one. I am hoping to find his will and other docs.
Have a lovely day  :)
Kris

Offline Wallfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Keyboard86.  Good of you to check things for me.
Have a lovely day :)
Kris

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you Keyboard86.  Good of you to check things for me.
Have a lovely day :)
Kris

Hi again, so do we agree that the 1764 death for Francis is not him, and that the baptisms are likely to be your ancestors?
Keyboard86

PS agree with Willow re Francis Moss death it is not aged 14 just date of burial! '
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 10:04 BST (UK) »
This might be a possible marriage needs some further research

7.7.1751 St Mary Reading Berkshire Francis Moss to Ann Annington

Looked at this a bit further and there is a marriage licence that states Francis is of Newbury and Ann is of Wokingham and a widow and the bondsman for the licence is a John Pitts of Wokingham (possibly her father)

There is also a baptism of a Francis Moss 4.10.1754 All Saints Wokingham parents Francis and Ann this seems to be the only child baptised to these parents in that area

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Wallfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
 :o Thanks Willow4873, I am a little confused.  That marriage is well after Thomas and Katherine were born and not near Wolverhampton.

;) hi keyboard86, yes I agree that the baptisms are right.

Thank you all again
Kris

Offline Wallfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 01:29 BST (UK) »
 ;D  Hi all, I can confirm that Ann was indeed Thomas and Katherine sister as I have just come across a book of poems by the Rev Thomas Moss published in 1827 by his great nephew B. Guy Phillips.  In it is a poem called 'On The Death of the Author's Sister' and her name was Anna.  This would have been written around 1767 when he was very prolific in his poetry.
Kris