Author Topic: Help to trace further info - Have attestion record but can find nothing more?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Hello

Am hoping someone with a bit more experience in these things can help me out. Am trying to trace the WW1 service records of my husband's great grandfather.

I have his attestation record found. He is listed as:

Albert John William Andrews. Born 1878 (11 Nov) from Atworth in Wiltshire. His regimental number was 25477 and he joined the Devonshire Regiment.

After that I can find nothing further, was hoping to find a medal card at least but no. It is complicated in that he went by the name of Albert but was actually christened John Albert William and often gives various versions of the names. He also sometimes gives his dob as 1879 on census records etc. (He was baptised Jan 1879).

How can I find out further information re which theatre of war he served in etc? I do also have a picture of him in uniform - is it the correct type for the Devonshires?

In later life he apparantely served in the Military Police during WW2 but that research is for another day.

Would very much appreciate any help on next steps.
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help to trace further info - Have attestion record but can find nothing more?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
I have his attestation record

Have you looked at the other pages from his army records ? There's quite a lot of information there (possibly more on FindMyPast than on Ancestry).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help to trace further info - Have attestion record but can find nothing more?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I was wondering the same Shaun, but thought Sue would have just looked at them all.  Quite a few duplications though, on both Ancestry and FindMyPast.

FindMyPast have 3 service numbers ( 25477; 27075; 26500) but same records on each.   No Medal Card under his full name.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
Good find there.  I had noticed Ancestry also has a number 260448 but hadn't tried that

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
You will see that he also served in the Royal Engineers, in 338 Road Construction Company

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Ah, I've only been on Ancestry and not Find My Past as had assumed info would be the same.

That's brilliant. Thank you so much for helping.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
The Royal Engineers info is also on Ancestry - look at image 33159 for instance

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, will do. Have ancestry subscription but PAYG on Find my Past  ;)

Are transcription errors common? The transcription for his 25477 service number shows Armitage in Staffordshire as his birthplace (the original record is very faint). Presumably this is why I have not traced him elsewhere.