Author Topic: HITCHIN brick wall  (Read 1311 times)

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HITCHIN brick wall
« on: Wednesday 07 October 15 11:00 BST (UK) »
I have been unable to locate a baptism record for WILLIAM BROWN HITCHIN.  Can anyone help?

He was born about 1743 (he was 72 at his death in Sneinton in 1815) and lived for much of his life at Besthorpe in the parish of South Scarle, Nottinghamshire.  He was of Besthorpe at the time of his marriages, but I haven't been able to find a record of his baptism there.

He ventured into Lincolnshire for both his marriages - Norton Disney in 1774 and Grantham in 1776.  The baptisms of his children show that he lived initially at Besthorpe, then moved to Newark, returned to Besthorpe and then moved to Nottingham.

I am conjecturing that his parents may be a Mr Hitchin (Hitching or Hitchings) and a Ms Brown, and whilst there are two possible marriages at Scampton in Lincolnshire, I can find no link to William Brown Hitchin.

Possible relatives buried at South Scarle are John Hitchin (aged 76) 2 June 1813 (born c 1737) and Jane Hitchin (aged 98) 7 June 1835 (born c 1735).

I would dearly love to be able to trace my family back another generation  :)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: HITCHIN brick wall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 16:26 BST (UK) »
http://www.easttrentgenealogy.co.uk/
this site has good searchable records for the area's you are interested in.

"I am conjecturing that his parents may be a Mr Hitchin (Hitching or Hitchings) and a Ms Brown"
Or a Miss H. and she added the Brown as a hint at the father  ???
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 16:47 BST (UK) »
Burials at St Helenas
Elizabeth HITCHIN   6 Mar 1775 parent William Brown HITCHIN
John HITCHIN   23 Mar 1779 parents William Brown HITCHIN & Frances
John HITCHIN   9 Dec 1790  parents William Brown HITCHIN & Frances
John Martin HITCHIN   16 Jan 1780 parents William Brown HITCHIN & Frances
William HITCHIN   25 Jul 1791 parents William Brown HITCHIN & Frances
William HITCHIN   4 May 1781 parents William Brown HITCHIN & Elizabeth
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline anniecat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you larkspur and iluleah for your replies and interest.

I have a fairly recent copy of the searchable Nottinghamshire baptisms marriages and burials from the Nottinghamshire Family History Society and the baptism of William Brown Hitchin and (if there is one!) marriage of his parents are not there, to the best of my knowledge.  That source has helped me trace the family and movements after his marriage to Elizabeth Watson in 1774 (who is the Elizabeth buried at South Scarle in 1775).  It leads me to suppose that the Hitchins may well have moved to Besthorpe from outside the county - but from where?!

Some of his younger children were baptised as being son or daughter of William Hitchin, rather than William Brown Hitchin, and for his marriage to Frances Martin in 1776 he was William Hitching.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 15 11:41 BST (UK) »
There is a William HITCHIN   bap 29 Nov 1774 parents William Brown HITCHIN & Elizabeth which is the earliest Scarle baptism for this couple by 1779/1780 2 further baptisms this time with Frances as the mother. Nothing at Holy Trinity.

Elizabeth is buried in Scarle village cemetery as the 2nd Scarle cemetery  which is on the Besthorpe road about 1 mile outside Scarle on the way to Besthorpe is a 'new' graveyard ( land given to the church by my maternal grandfather 70ish plus years ago)

Many people in Scarle arrived from eleswhere for my ancestors that was Lincolnshire and Rutland.

It was a tiny hamlet in my childhood , from research I have done most people who arrived first lived in Besthorpe/Girton before moving into Scarle. St Helenas was then  the only place for any community  apart then from the PO opened in a front room on Wednesday/Friday  mornings for parcel delivery, to buy stamps and sweets ;D post box outside. In the late 1970s the left wing of St Helenas was converted into a community Hall, it was "Christened" in Nov 1977 by me holding my sons baptism after party there. Now a village twice the size packing in dozens of new houses onto plots that were once for one property  and the farm shop/PO open daily. Lots of extensive work is being done on St Helenas now.

I don't know the name Hitchin, although Jane who married a Charles Reeves in 1876 and  certainly Reeves is a family name I know in Scarle, so descendants of theirs were there 100 years later
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend