Author Topic: What chance of finding someone WITHOUT an age or address.  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What chance of finding someone WITHOUT an age or address.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 October 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
The sampler(s) seems to have the same repair, on the right hand side, a small hole that has been mended. Surely in this case it can only be the one sampler. If any others had damage it would not be an identical place and repair ???
The unframed one from Live auctions has the hole visible and the framed ones it is repaired.

Does this mean there is only one original but many copies?  If Barbara had made as many samplers as shown by a Google search surely she would have been famous in the sampler world?

I was surprised at how "cheap" they were for something so old.
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
As I said earlier.....

"I was googling the name and date, and it brought up loads of her samplers being auctioned.  They seem to be very popular!"
Jeanne, I think the sampler on Ebay is the same one, just being sold on foreign sites."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Sampler-1707-by-Barbara-Newman-/291504366552?nma=true&si=dqw373%252BV0uEZ3fz11ucLV6AqKOA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
http://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/Antique-Sampler-1707-by-Barbara-Newman-/291504366552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43df03a3d8
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I'm not confused for once  ;D ,It's  the same one .
looking at all of the sites and at all of the sellers contact details including phone numbers (most of the sites are just umbrella sites -  I looked at the individual's contact details of the item on each of these  ;Ewbank's is a physical auction house (All the unframed ones that is listed on umbrella sites) , whilst Madelena ( all framed photos of the same sampler)which also  is the same seller as on ebay - has the same username as the online shop Madelena ) is an antique and collectors online shop.
There are only two sellers that I can see on all of the sites I found including the umbrella sites - Ewbanks ( unframed - auction rooms) and Madelena (framed photos - online antiques and collector shop)

The owner of Madelena I guess has bought it from the auctioneer rooms at Ewbanks at what ever
cost , framed it and put it onto their online shop and also listed it on Ebay and  umbrella sites. (my dad a few moons ago used to own a bricks and mortar antique shop for a time)

Kind Regards:)
PS  Liveauctions is just a host site - The seller on liveauctions is  the auctioneers at Ewbanks if you look at the auctioneer of the item .

PPS in regard to where did the  seller get it from for trying to tracing Barbara Newman , try Burnt Common Auction Rooms
London Road, Send,
Woking, Surrey, GU23 7LN
They have a contact number on their site and email.
http://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/

Perhaps they still have records of who put it in the auction rooms( they should have)  whether they will give you that info is another matter, or whether it is any use is another matter too. Maybe look around Surrey  and surrounds for a Barbara Newman in the 1700's, but  it may have ended up in Surrey over time with just people's movements and Barbara could be from the other end of the country.
I don't really fancy your luck finding her for sure with just a name and a date ( don't forget Newman can be spelled many ways too - one of hubby's lot was a Nieman, who also went by Newman and Neimann  to name just a few he used- he's a pain :)

Kind Regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
 8)
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
The sampler seems to have the same repair, on the right hand side, a small hole that has been mended. Surely in this case it can only be the one sampler. If any others had damage it would not be an identical place and repair ???
The unframed one from Live auctions has the hole visible and the framed ones it is repaired.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
Oops - I obviously didn't look very closely at the actual work when I first saw it!  Just caught the name and date! 

Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification Cell.

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 09 October 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wish I never looked now Ruskie (the prices on Ebay !!  :o   :'( :
Eliza,
I really do hope that you did not pay  925.00 the Ebay price for it as I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Go to Ewbank's auctions site and search sampler - yours is lot 838, the  6th one down in the results.
Please tell me you are  the seller on Ebay and not the poor buyer.
Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 October 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/30241532_queen-anne-period-early-18th-c-band-sampler-with-formal

I gave the link earlier for that one Cell. From what the OP says she purchased it in a frame, so sadly think it may have been the Ebay one, as the above one had no frame  :-[