Author Topic: McNeill ancestors Paisley  (Read 3785 times)

Offline marije87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNeill ancestors Paisley
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 March 21 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Elisabeth Ann was born on 10 sep, but her baptism was on 7 october. This is the date that I have for her parents marriage. But yes it could be that the marriage date is different, but if so I also haven't found a marriage between a William McNiell and a Elisabeth.

I am however sure William McNiell was living in London for many years by then. I have working records from 1792 in London and he was a widness (I don't know if it is the right word) for the marriage of family friends William Stavers and Margerth Crowther in 1784.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 March 21 21:07 GMT (UK) »
It looks to me as if someone has used Elizabeth Ann's date of baptism for the date of her parents' marriage.

And yes, witness is the correct word.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline HannahKG

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 May 24 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hallo, I'm from holland and trough the dutch name "De Vogel" and then the English name "Stavers" I decent from a McNeill brance. I know McNeill is also writen like: McNeil of McNiel(l)

I found some info on familytree sites from other people but I have a hard time finding Original documents to confirm the info I have.

It starts with: Frances Mary McNeill
born probably 30 jul 1804, but I can't find a record of it
Married on 31 may 1827, London with Thomas Reed Stavers (I do have a record)
died on 21 may 1878, Arnhem The Netherlands (I do have a Dutch record)

her parents are: William McNiell and Elisabeth (don't know her maiden name, could be Andrews, but not sure)
they married on 7 oct 1798, London (can't find a record)
William McNeill was born on 1 may 1758, Paisley (I do have a record)
he probably died on 14 mar 1840 (but his dead says he was born in 1755) So Im not sure if this is the right William McNeill.

His parents are (probably) John McNeill (1714 Greenock - 1785)
and Christian Christina Dinsmore (born 1718 Paisley
married 1744 in Paisley

John McNiell his parents are probably:
Neil McNeill (1691 Bute - 1768 Glasgow)
Agnes McKinnie (1690 - ....)

Who knows more about these people and can maybe help me find official/Original records

Thanks

Hi there,
I found your post looking for more information- I am also a descendant of William Stavers and Elisabeth McNeill. I have been putting all the information that I can get into Wikitree to keep track of everything.