Author Topic: augustus clare COOPER[ b1856 NSW]-m-Mary MCDONOUGH[ b1858 ] in 1878 NSW  (Read 6026 times)

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
augustus clare COOPER[ b1856 NSW]-m-Mary MCDONOUGH[ b1858 ] in 1878 NSW
« on: Monday 12 October 15 04:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find some background ie Father/Mother if possible...They had a daughter Mary May Cooper b1880 NSW who married a Isaac SMALL in about 1896 in NSW...MEDUSA

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: augustus clare COOPER[ b1856 NSW]-m-Mary MCDONOUGH[ b1858 ] in 1878 NSW
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 15 04:56 BST (UK) »
Do you have a copy of Mary May COOPER's marriage certificate.  I would expect the NSW marriage certificate to include first hand information that Mary provided.   For example I would expect it to include the names of her parents, including Mum's former names,  and her Dad's occupation.  I would also expect it to include Mary's usual address, her occupation, her place of birth, her age.  And as it seems that she was not yet 21 years of age when she married, the name of the person giving consent for her marriage, and their relationship to her.

Here's the live link to the NSW BDM.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx   You will find Mary May's marriage indexed there.

Here's the live link to RChat's NSW Resources Board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 15 04:58 BST (UK) »
Are you looking for information about Augustus Clare COOPER's parents and mary McDONOUGH's parents ....   The COOPER MCDONOUGH marriage of 1878 is also indexed online at NSW BDM

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 15 05:06 BST (UK) »
You will also gain good first hand information from the 1880 birth certificate for their daughter.   NSW BDM birth certs include details about the baby's parents ..... where they were born, Mum's former names, where and when married, and details about the informant as well .... for example, when several of my NSW born ancestors births were registered, the informant was one of their grandparents....   :)

I think it would be sensible for you to consider seeking out official transcriptions of the NSW BDM certificates so that you can receive quality help from the regulars at RChat on the Aussie board.

Cheers,  JM

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 15 07:49 BST (UK) »
To Jm,Well I think I am SENSIBLE enough to check out everything I can before I receive quality help from the board,...in fact I do work backwards in my research!
          If you like to look, my heading states birthdates and marriage of Mary May's parents and Augustus is not listed as being born in NSW[I got  my birth info from Family Search!]..and with the name Mary Mcdonough ,how many ways can you spell it!...MEDUSA

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
To Jm,Well I think I am SENSIBLE enough to check out everything I can before I receive quality help from the board,...in fact I do work backwards in my research!
          If you like to look, my heading states birthdates and marriage of Mary May's parents and Augustus is not listed as being born in NSW[I got  my birth info from Family Search!]..and with the name Mary Mcdonough ,how many ways can you spell it!...MEDUSA

What information did you glean from those NSW BDM certificates, particularly the 1878 marriage?

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:M6GN-JBQ   

I gather this is your source for the ‘birth info from Family Search’.   It is of course from a submitted source, and so it needs to be validated against your own research. 

So do you have the actual information from the birth registration for Mary May COOPER? 

Here is the information that is gleaned from the ONLINE INDEX freely available at the following link 

Mary May, daughter of August and Mary COOPER, registered in the Lismore District of NSW, with a birth date of 12 May 1880.  Here is the reference no. for the registration of the birth of Mary May COOPER:  #23676
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

The actual official transcription of the registration should give you responses to the following headings:

Date and place of birth of child :

Name and whether present or not:

Sex:

Father’s name (1), occupation (2), age (3) and birthplace (4):

Date  and place of marriage (1)  – previous issue (2):

Mother’s name and maiden surname (1) , age (2) and birthplace (3):

Informant (JM notes this is recorded as their full name, relationship to the baby being registered, and usual address.  Not all informants in the 1880s were literate, and the registration system was based on a verbal exchange between the recording clerk/deputy registrar and the informant, often in rural areas across a high and wide counter within a district court house. )

Witness (1),   (2),  (3): 
(JM notes that option (1) is usually for the Doctor, option (2) is usually for the Midwife and option (3) is usually for the lay person present to assist, so often in the late 19th Century in rural NSW that lay person would be the baby’s maternal relative (so the baby’s mum’s mum/aunt/sister/cousin).   

Particulars of registration: (District registrar, Date, Location)

Name if added after Registration of birth:

I note that at NSW BDM online index there’s a death registration for Augustus C COOPER in 1892, registered in the Tweed River district.  The NSW BDM's online index displays given names of his parents as recorded on that registration.  That NSW BDM district is next to the NSW BDM Lismore district.    If that is Mary's dad, Mary would have been 12 years of age when her father died.   If her mother re-married in NSW then I would suggest you also consider seeking out that later marriage certificate to confirm the details about Mary’s maternal grandparents as that information would be sought by the officiating minister/registrar.

May I express concern about some conflicting info.   Your topic heading reads:

"augustus clare COOPER[ B1856 NSW] -m-Mary MCDONOUGH[ B1858] in 1878 NSW."

but you also write

...... If you like to look, my heading states birthdates and marriage of Mary May's parents and Augustus is not listed as being born in NSW

So, from your research, ....  was Augustus born in NSW or not.....

Add .... You see there's this baptism
I suspect that your Augustus Clare was born 13 April 1854, Bullinah, NSW (perhaps that would be today’s Ballina NSW), and baptised 17 August 1854, and that his mum was Augusta CLARE.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTHK-C3T
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCZ-LZN

http://www.bullinahahs.org.au/

It is also listed at NSW BDM online index

Cheers,  JM

Offline medusa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 05:24 BST (UK) »
To jm,Augustus Clare Cooper is not listed in the NSWBDM under Births as being born in NSW but in Family Search.....Medusa

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 06:37 BST (UK) »
To jm,Augustus Clare Cooper is not listed in the NSWBDM under Births as being born in NSW but in Family Search.....Medusa

Here we are Medusa, it was there all the time -

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search?0

4353/1854 V18544353 40
CLARE Augustus C
Father WILLIAM
Mother AUGUSTA

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk