Author Topic: Worcestershire Marriage Index  (Read 1258 times)

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Worcestershire Marriage Index
« on: Thursday 22 October 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could do a quick lookup for me in the Worcestershire Marriage Index if they are going to Worcester Archives?

I am looking to see if Thomas Jennings/Jennins and Kezia ? married in Worcestershire. Their first known child was born in 1768 at Kings Norton and according to Kezia's burial she was born around 1740 so the marriage should be between around 1760 and 1768. There is of course no guarantee that Thomas and Kezia were married in Worcestershire.

Kind Regards,
MercianSte.

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Worcestershire Marriage Index
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mercian.Ste
Thomas Jenings did marry Kezia in Worcestershire.

Marriage Bond and Licence for the marriage of Thomas Jenings and Kezia Barlow on or after 18 December 1864 at the parish church of Kings Norton.
Standard printed document with portions completed by hand.
Briefly
Thomas Jennings of the parish of King’s Norton shoemaker and Barton Tay of ye sd. Parish in the County and Diocese of Worcester yeoman ....... 18th day of December in the fifth year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Third ....  one Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty four ......
Thomas Jennings a Batchelor (sic)  & Kezia Barlow of the sd Parish of Kings Norton in the County & Diocese aforesd. Spinster
Thomas Jennings wrote his name as Thomas Jenings
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Second page handwritten statement.
December 18th 1764
On which Day appeared Personally Thomas Jennings (sic) of the Parish of Kingsnorton in the County & Diocese of Worcester  Shoemaker & being sworn on the Holy Evangelists alledg’d & made Oath as follows that he is of the Age of twenty one years & a Batchelor & intends to marry Kezia Barlow of the sd Parish in the County & Diocese aforesd aged twenty one years & upwards & a Spinster not knowing or believing any lawful Let or Impediment by reason of any Precontract enter’d into before the 25th Day of March 1754 (sic) Consanguinity Affinity or any other Cause whatsoever to hinder the sd. intended marriage & he pray’d a Licence to solemnize the sd. Marriage in the Parish Church of King’snorton aforesd. In which sd. Parish of Kingsnorton the sd. Thomas Jenings further made oath that he hath had his usual Abode for the space of four weeks last past.
Same day the sd. Thomas Jenings was sworn before me Js Hemming Surrogate
Witness Barton Tay

Signed Thomas Jenings.

The Worcs Archive does not have a film of the parish marriage register that would cover the 1760's period and there wasn't time to look for the Bishop's Transcript.

Jack

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Worcestershire Marriage Index
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 15 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack,

Thank you for much for having a look for me! Its great to get Kezia's maiden name!

Thanks,
Ste