Author Topic: SOUTHSEA - Electoral roll late 40s / 50s  (Read 5598 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SOUTHSEA - Electoral roll late 40s / 50s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 October 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm sure you are right, and I had mistakenly identified the wrong Isabella as the future wife of my ancestor. Unfortunately, I have no home access to the census records at present, having allowed my Ancestry subscription to lapse. Now that I am finding a renewed interest in family history research, I must rejoin.

Oddly, in the same family, there are three of my grandmother's brothers who I haven't yet been able to trace. One of Fred's brothers was a (supposedly) respectable funeral director in Darlington ... I found newspaper reports of drunk and disorderly behaviour, then he disappears. Another brother was discharged from the army (wounds); before WW1 he had been a schoolmaster. Then, several press reports of drunkenness near the Whitworth, Rochdale family home , culminating in a custodial sentence. Then nothing.

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 October 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yelkcub. I'll pop down to the library tomorrow and have a look for you. Ironically I live in the next street.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 October 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying, antiquesam – I'd really appreciate that. Hope you are having a good weekend. Still sunny here in Cornwall, but for how much longer?

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 October 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yelkcub, Fred Is listed in the 1939/40 roll with Isabella Horsfall, Mary Moran and William Thomas Cooper (military vote)
1946-49 there is just Isabella and Mary Moran.
1951-53 a John Williams joins the household
1954-57 we have Jane I Horsfall and Mary Moran
1958-59 there is just Jane I Horsfall
1960 there is no entry for the house
1961 it is a family called Gibbons.
I hope this helps your research. Let me know how you get on.
I should have looked up my own house at the same time but only thought of it at the last minute.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 October 15 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I wonder  ::)
Jane I Horsfall
Dec qtr 1958
Age at Death   84
Reg district Portsmouth
6b /503

Electoral registers are compiled in the October of the year prior to publication around February. That may account for her still showing 1959.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 October 15 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, both of you, for these replies - and for the time and trouble taken to trawl through the relevant ERs. Interesting findings - though, as we expect in family history research, even more questions are raised!
The fact that Fred is missing from the 1946-1949 registers presumably suggests that either he had died by then, or for some reason he was living away from his wife. By then he had certainly retired from the Royal Marine Artillery.
Who Mary Moran was, I have no idea - a lodger, perhaps (apparently a long-term one)? Or (wild guess) a widowed sister of Isabella?
The John Williams who appears (1951-3) is, I would imagine, a relative of Isabella, whose maiden name was Williams.
The really strange detail comes in the 1954-59 registers. Isabella Horsfall disappears, and Jane I Horsfall takes her place. Was Jane the same person as Isabella? If so, I wonder why the change of forename?
It looks as if Rosie99 is correct to assume that the Jane I Horsfall who died 1958 is the person listed in the electoral register. As to the age given in the death record - which would make her birth year 1874 (give or take) ... When I found (or thought I had found) her in the 1911 census, I omitted to record her age. Fred was born 22 October 1888 (military service record). Could he have been fourteen years younger than his wife?

I shall have to think hard where I can go next with this. But, again, sincere thanks to both of you for your invaluable help and advice. Best wishes, Ian

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 October 15 13:01 GMT (UK) »
As there was no electoral register for the war years my assumption would be that he was a war victim, especially as Portsmouth took a bit of a pounding.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 October 15 13:09 GMT (UK) »
As there was no electoral register for the war years my assumption would be that he was a war victim, especially as Portsmouth took a bit of a pounding.

I could not see him in WW2 on the CWGC website which also shows civilian deaths  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 October 15 13:12 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking of a civilian casualty, or even Merchant Navy.