Author Topic: Ceylon: Ceylon BDM’s 1900 to 1925  (Read 2506 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ceylon: Ceylon BDM’s 1900 to 1925
« on: Friday 23 October 15 04:58 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please inform me how to find out the birth/baptisms of English children born in Ceylon during the period 1900 to 1925.  I have four children born to Walter James Noble and his wife Elizabeth Annie, but I have no clear idea of dates. The only information I have been able to obtain is from the shipping information when travelling from Ceylon.

Any assistance would be very gratefully accepted

A Chesters

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ceylon: Ceylon BDM’s 1900 to 1925
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 October 15 09:21 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 October 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Have you nailed down Walter James Noble death certificate,there may be an informant which gives detail.
Note that a sailing for him,alone, on the Warwickshire, Liverpool to Colombo 16 Feb 1917 his occupation is,,Minister of Religion.Age37,so born c 1880.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 15 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for that information.

dawnsh: I will have a close look at that website, when I can work out just where he was located in Ceylon. The only location I have at this moment is Hatton, from where he had a good view of Adam's Peak. When I can work out just where Hatton is compared to the churches, it will help immensely. The only problem is that he was a Methodist missionary, so might not have baptised them in C of E churches. However, any information is of use.

brionne: I know that he died in Herne Bay, Kent in Feb 1962, as per his obituary. At this stage, I have not thought about his death certificate. How much information it would give I do not know.

Again, many thanks to both of you for your help.

A Chesters

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 15 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes its possible to trace another relative back individually from the informant details on a death certificate.

Heres another shipping record which you may not have found. ref,Find My Past
Rev W.J.Noble 50,sailing 28/09/1929,on the Carmarthenshire from Southampton to the Cape.South Africa. with Mrs Noble 47. residence South Africa.
Uk, address,24 Bishopsgate St,London.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 October 15 03:36 GMT (UK) »
brionne: Thank you for you interest. I have found that one, and several other travel records.

I had a thought yesterday (dangerous ;D) Do you know if there are any "official" records for the period in Ceylon, or should I try to contact the Sri Lankan government to inquire?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 15 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Hatton is in the Nuwara Elliya area of Central Ceylon. Tea Country. I posted the following last week on RootsChat.

"British Newspapers do contain births. marriages and deaths of people in Ceylon. The London Times especially. Ceylon does not seem to have any poorer British. Mainly Army Officers, Civil Servants and Tea/Coffee Planters, those in the Law. Doctors, Engineers, etc.. Many of the notices in the papers just state son or daughter of wife's name with no child's name. I have some birth dates missing on people known to have been born in Ceylon and returned to England prior to WW2.  I am hoping the 1939 English mass registration when it comes out will help me fill in some gaps. The person who has published BMD's of Ceylon. is Eileen Hewson. One example (of the many) is her "Holy Trinity Church, Nuwara Eliya" Births and Baptisms. Look her up on the Internet. English Wills do list place of death in Ceylon if the deceased had money in England. So far I have about a 90% success rate finding full information on people there. My last date is 23 Jan 1951 at the Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya, Ceylon
for Louise Hay (Mrs Harry Creasy)".

Google

Nuwara Eliya Birth/Baptism Records Ceylon (Sri Lanka) (N) 

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 October 15 04:46 GMT (UK) »
barryd: Thank you for that information. I had obtained the information about Hatton from a publication on the net about Walter James Noble, but had no idea where in Ceylon it was, so your information adds to my knowledge.

I have tried the London Times on A******y but for some reason it only goes to 1833!

Will just keep plugging away.

Again many thanks for your help

AC

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 October 15 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Check out your local library as many of them offer access to The Times digital archive at home with your library card number.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea