Author Topic: Which in-laws get to stay in our trees?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline coughlinja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which in-laws get to stay in our trees?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 October 15 12:59 GMT (UK) »
This is very helpful. Thanks all.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I have never had an online tree, and as I read some of these posts I see more and more reasons to back up my decision!

I keep mine on paper, so I add what I want, and leave out what I don't want. Paper is the TOOL I use to record my tree.

I appreciate that others like to use a FH programm, or an online service to record their trees. But surely that is just a different TOOL with which to record YOUR research! Not a MASTER telling you what to put, or recording things off its own bat without you knowing, whether they are correct or not, and whether you have actually researched them or not!    And then to add to this, there are people who will then copy an online tree, and call that research, and the tree a "source". 
Keep online trees to what they should be - someones actual research, of what they want to research, and that they have researched, using online facilities as the tool to record it. 
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:09 GMT (UK) »

I have an online tree as well as paper records.  I like to have the paper record because it is an easy reference but I also have a programme on my computer which I use as my handwriting is so awful ::) then I print it out and use that. ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline coughlinja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I have never had an online tree, and as I read some of these posts I see more and more reasons to back up my decision!

I keep mine on paper, so I add what I want, and leave out what I don't want. Paper is the TOOL I use to record my tree.

I appreciate that others like to use a FH programm, or an online service to record their trees. But surely that is just a different TOOL with which to record YOUR research! Not a MASTER telling you what to put, or recording things off its own bat without you knowing, whether they are correct or not, and whether you have actually researched them or not!    And then to add to this, there are people who will then copy an online tree, and call that research, and the tree a "source". 
Keep online trees to what they should be - someones actual research, of what they want to research, and that they have researched, using online facilities as the tool to record it.

I understand what you are saying, but it is still easier for me to keep organized when I use my computer.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Of course it's possible to have in-laws who are related to you.  My g.gran married and then her brother married her husband's sister.  So the in-laws of my g.grandmother are also the in-laws of her brother and likewise the in-laws of my g.grandfather are also the in-laws of his sister.  ::)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Of course it's possible to have in-laws who are related to you.  My g.gran married and then her brother married her husband's sister.  So the in-laws of my g.grandmother are also the in-laws of her brother and likewise the in-laws of my g.grandfather are also the in-laws of his sister.  ::)

I had that as well in the case of my grandmother and her sister marrying two brothers and my mum and her sister marrying brothers ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:29 GMT (UK) »
With FH software, yes, the information is stored in a database, mine wouldn't normally display non-family members other than spouses in a tree unless I asked it to,

Ancestry's slightly different, it's more of a chain rather than a tree
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline coughlinja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:34 GMT (UK) »
With FH software, yes, the information is stored in a database, mine wouldn't normally display non-family members other than spouses in a tree unless I asked it to,

Ancestry's slightly different, it's more of a chain rather than a tree

Slightly embarrassed at my newness. I do use Ancestry. What other software can you use to store your tree.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 October 15 13:38 GMT (UK) »

MY Heritage has Family Tree Builder which is free to download to your computer.  It is also quite easy to use.