Author Topic: Isaac Biglands - Which One?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Biglands - Which One?
« on: Friday 30 October 15 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Slight conundrum.

I have a John Biglands (b1832 Liverpool)  in my sons tree who was married in South Australia in 1856 and gave Isaac Biglands as his father on marriage. Searching various records I came across one who I thought was him and added to my tree and kept going back down the line. Lately I have been filled with doubts and decided to re-check some facts and records.

The 2 I have are Isaac Biglands born 2 Feb 1797 to John Biglands and Sarah Wilson, -Birkley?/ (Birkby? ) Cumberland residence Low Holme

The other born 1795 bap sep 1796 in Maryport Cumberland to Robert Biglands and Margaret Sanderson

I came across 2 newspaper accounts of deaths - one in 1839 in Cockermouth of a 42 yr old Isaac ie 1797-1839 = 42

The other was in Liverpool in 1848 in Liverpool . Isaac Biglands  53 Tailor Draper and apparently the Father of Liverpool Wrestling. Once again 1795-1848= 53.

Isaac Biglands m 1824 to Mary Hill in Liverpool ( I can only find 1 marriage in the time period) and had children in order - Sarah, Robert , Margaret , John , Charlotte and Mary. To me the naming patterns don't move me one way or the other.

My doubts are whether the Cockermouth Isaac married. Also while the newspaper reports give an age it would be possible , depending on the time of the year for the birth year to go back or forward enough to create doubt ( for me at least)

What would be the impetus for Isaac to move from Cumberland to Liverpool - is it the apprenticeship he would have undertaken? ( No information was available - that I could see - on Robert Biglands occupation. Nor of John sr)

I couldn't find any census records either

Hopefully this hasn't confused anyone , but I wanted to put in the info I had so nobody went chasing what I already had :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Biglands - Which One?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 15 15:45 GMT (UK) »

I'd be inclined to go for the Maryport baptism..parents Robert + Margaret... also childrens names.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
The 2 I have are Isaac Biglands born 2 Feb 1797 to John Biglands and Sarah Wilson Birkley? (Birkby? ) Cumberland residence Low Holme

Are you sure that Birkby was a name and not a location?  Birkby is close to Maryport http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=304835&Y=537017&A=Y&Z=120

The 1839 death - At Birkby, on the 12th instant, Mr. Isaac BIGLAND, aged 42 years.

1829 directory has BIGLAND John, yeoman Birkby

Sorted? :)

NB - this was not the John B who lived at Saltcoates (died 1842)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
1841 census Park Lane, Liverpool HO107/566    folio 29   page 2

Isaac Bigland  44 tailor + family

Park lane was given as residence at John's baptism 1832 father Isaac tailor

Jackie

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 15 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jacqueline

I am inclined to as well. But not forgetting John and Sarah are also names of children

Geoff-E
Aah I see - I should have comma'd after Wilson. Place of birth is transcribed as Birkley Low Holme. I assumed Birkby after looking on maps

I figured it was a typo as well for Birkby. But as I understand my maps Cockermouth is also close to Maryport. The death in Birkby was what triggered my doubts. For some reason I had Isaac as the 1797 birth but dying in 1848 - transposing the 2

I am comfortable the Isaac in Liverpool is Johns father and Mary is his mother. It is sorting the 2 Cumberland Isaacs and getting one to Liverpool as a Tailor/Draper

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 October 15 16:12 GMT (UK) »
A newspaper report re. his death..states he was a native of Maryport..also mentions his interest in
wrestling.

6th Oct.1848

Jackie

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 October 15 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Having written it all down in this format and looking at it without the emotion of '' but I have to change things'' , I feel you are both right and will enter Robert and Margaret as parents and quite happily , on my sons behalf , claim kinship to the Father of Liverpool Wrestling. :)

Thank you both for having a look at it :)

Scott, Cronin

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 October 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Simply on the basis that I should assume you know nothing, I should mention Cumberland Wrestling (which probably had offspring on Merseyside).

Many examples on UTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4cQKlqsKM :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 October 15 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Much appreciated Geoff. So now I can tell my mother that what my brother and I were doing wasn't fighting but Cumberland Wrestling :D

Oh and I found out whats under a kilt.

Scott, Cronin