Author Topic: Do I need to upgrade my Anti Virus  (Read 1191 times)

Offline zena 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Do I need to upgrade my Anti Virus
« on: Thursday 05 November 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi 
Please can someone give me some advise  Regarding  my  McAfee Total Protection I renewed this in March when I had 8.1  I have since upgraded to Microsoft 10 . Do you think I need to renew to another Anti Virus to protect my pc .or would 8.1 protect me.

Thanks in advance

Zena

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need to upgrade my Anti Virus
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
It's a long while since I used McAfee but I would think it would automatically update itself to accomodate the new system (I assume you mean Windows 10)

I use Norton, and when I switched to Windows 10 Norton automatically updated itself.

Maybe someone who actually uses McAfee will come along soon with more knowledge.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline zena 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply, that is what I thought when I downloaded  windows 10 that it would take it across but I didn't. I will see what others say.
          Thanks anyway

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 15 21:07 GMT (UK) »
As long as you have the registration details for your previous version of McAfee I would think you could download the latest version from their website and register it using the same details :-\

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I've not had any extra anti virus protection since getting a laptop with Windows 8 and now upgraded to Windows 10.  Looking at "Which" magazine it shows that the Windows protection which comes with Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 is just as good as any of the paid for anti virus etc.

Offline zena 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need to upgrade my Anti Virus ( Completed Thanks)
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 15 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie
  Thanks for reply. I think that has answered my question.
         Zena

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 December 15 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Having read a "Which" report today on Anti virus protection, I notice that they now say that Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 anti virus protection is not as safe as it was.  I downloaded ZoneAlarm PRO which is free at the moment, plus £5.95 for an extra firewall.  I then set it to scan and it found a Heur Virus which it states is high risk.   ::)  It has now been dealt with.  I have no idea what a Heur virus is, I've tried googling and some people suggest it's a false positive, others that it can get into your files.  So now my OH has also downloaded ZoneAlarm Pro plus extra firewall and he is scanning his machine.  A full scan takes about 2½ hours.  Be interesting to see if he too has this Heur virus, as he uses his PC much less than I do and rarely buys anything on line.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Have a look at this link.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6020188_remove-win32-heur-virus.html

Apparantly the Heur virus often creates a fake anti virus program on your computer.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Part of the article states:

The Win32/Heur virus often creates a fake anti-virus program that pops up on your computer and notifies you that your computer is infected. The Win32/Heur virus also can download additional viruses, slow your computer, redirect your Internet browser, and even cause your computer to crash.

So it seems it is worth getting rid of.