Author Topic: Looking for additional information on my great uncle who was a Japanese POW  (Read 789 times)

Offline unclekevin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi.

Early this year,  I found out that my great uncle was a Japanese POW, his name was Henry Newton and he was a gunner with the 137th Field Regiment, he was born in Doncaster and his service number was 964720.
I was informed that he spent time at Changi some point and put in River Valley  Camp. He was sent overseas for Japan on 04/02/1945 on the Haruyasa Maru , but the convoy (5 ships) was attacked by the American submarine USS Pampanito.  Two of the freighters were sunk, and luckily the Haruyasa Maru made it safely to Cape St Jacques, and entered the Mekong-river and navigated to Saigon. (Vietnam).

That's the information I have about him, there are a lot of parts during his capture that I don't know or can't find out, he died in 1951, I found his grave this year, as he is buried in Doncaster where i live, it took me a long time to find his grave as it didn't have an headstone or plaque, I was hoping that there would have been a headstone or plaque that could have helped me. It would be wonderful. if new information would come to light, or, if by an absolute miracle, I could find someone who knew him or was a fellow POW at the time with him, but I understand that many POW veterans are in their nineties.

Kind regards

Kevin Jones

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for additional information on my great uncle who was a Japanese POW
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 15 19:49 GMT (UK) »
You might also try here for additional information:

http://www.fepow-community.org.uk/

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 14:09 GMT (UK) »
You could apply for his service records which are held by MOD.

Some info on how to do it here
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fletp01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 February 24 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kevin, if you are still completing research regarding Henry Newton I have information regarding his post service marriage to Marjorie Norman