Author Topic: McHolm from Co Antrim HELP NEEDED  (Read 494 times)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McHolm from Co Antrim HELP NEEDED
« on: Tuesday 10 November 15 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any reference to McHolm family in Co Antrim. Although I have come across various spellings of the name, I have not been able to find anything relating to them in Ireland. On the 1871 Scotland census, Joseph McHolme has his birth as Antrim. His brothers just have Ireland listed. Their father was James McHolm, mother, Margaret (nee Martin). Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McHolm from Co Antrim HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 12:26 GMT (UK) »
There's a Joseph McHolm, age 54, born 'Andreas, Ireland' (from transcript) living in Dumfries in 1871- is this the correct person?

If so-
1871 wife Mary Ann is age 30 & born Scotland but daughter Margaret age 24 so Mary Ann is likely a 2nd wife. The 1861 census bears out this theory so you need to find that marriage to Mary Ann (between 1861/1871) to see if his parents are listed.

There's a marriage on 30 Nov.1845 (Troqueer, Kirkcudbright) to a Margaret Gracie. 1861 also lists children of Joseph McHolm- birth certificates would confirm mother's name.

Do you known what religion Joseph was? born c1816 so well before the start of civil registration in Ireland which means you need to search for church recoprds.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McHolm from Co Antrim HELP NEEDED
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 13:44 GMT (UK) »
aghadowey, yes that's him. Although our family is from John, brother to Joseph, Joseph is the only one who's listed a place of birth on any census. Joseph's death record has parents as James and Margaret. I'm not sure of religion other than they were not Catholic. Many thanks. By the way on original 1871 it clearly states Antrim