Author Topic: Cannot find proof of Marriage, does that mean there was not one?  (Read 2477 times)

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cannot find proof of Marriage, does that mean there was not one?
« on: Wednesday 11 November 15 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have struggled with this for a month now. I am not a professional genealogist just a hobbyist that I work on from time to time. So unsure what to do when you are unable to find proof of a marriage.

The couple I am researching lived in Hammersmith, Middlesex. Born in the same locale. So can only assume they would have married in the same area. Although I have searched further afield. According to the 1911 census they would have married abt 1901. I have searched just about every marriage registration index on-line but to no luck.

So my question, does this mean there wasn't one or does it just mean I cannot locate the couple in the index?

Any thoughts much appreciated as I feel this is holding up my research.

All the best
Sharon

PS hope this has been posted in the correct place.
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find proof of Marriage, does that mean there was not one?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

No, it does not mean there was no marriage.   

Could be errors in the index
Could be you are not looking widely enough
Could be they married much later than the info they recorded on the census
Could be they married in a different country
Could be you are being too precise in your spelling of the surnames and/or given names

Or  perhaps they did not enter into a formal marriage

If you were to post the names I am sure there will be RChatters willing to help search further.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »

You are not alone!

I had difficulty trying to find the marriage of my gt.grandparents; she registered his death as "widow", her own death registration shows her as "widow", all the birth certificates of their children give a "maiden name" but when my father was explaining my problem to a cousin......back came the reply......"oh, they never married".   ::)

So if there are any older family members around it might be worth asking them.

Good luck,

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 10:54 GMT (UK) »
they could have married in a church that was too slow getting their returns back to the registrar so their names don't appear in the GRO index.

If you have access to Ancestry and there is a particular baptism pattern for children or themselves have a look through the actual registers for that parish to see of they are missing or mistranscribed.

The registers for St Pauls Hammersmith were at Hammersmith Archives until recently, they have now gone to the LMA but aren't included in the online collection.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Sharon.

Is it possible there was a previous marriage?  As said previously, if you post the details the good people of RC will have a look for you.

I have spent years trying to find the marriage of my Aunt.  I have tried everything I can possibly think of to no avail.  Her mother was very religious so I can't believe she got away with not being married but I do have a very vague memory of my mother whispering something about her not being married but the memory is not clear enough to stop me looking.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.

There is no one left alive to ask only their grandchildren who are all over 65 and do not recall anything of there grandfather since he died before they were born.

I have tried looking for other marriages but with a common name it is difficult to decide etc.

As for the names I am looking for:

James Johnson b 1865 Hammersmith, in the 1901 census he is living at Rowton House in Hammersmith and is listed as married. Parents (only proof has been census) Richard and Emma Johnson.

Susan (poss. Susannah) Ellen Jane Egan b 1871, Hammersmith baptised 18 dec 1871 Hammersmith, Parents James and Susan Egan. Her mother Susan remarried to an Edward Taylor in 1879. In 1901 census she is living with her Mother in Hammersmith listed as single.

I have confirmed her maiden name to be Egan via her daughters birth certificate. If she married before I can find no evidence that matches any other information I have.

It may be one of those things that I won't be able to prove.

Thanks to all
Sharon
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Two points:

The column on the 1911 census regarding no of years married, asks for Complete years of marriage? So if the 1911 says 10 years, that implies a marriage in 1900? ;D

If James was married on the 1901 census, he probably wasn't free to marry anyway.
I can't find any divorce records for him.

My guess is that they didn't marry, but were living together.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 12:32 GMT (UK) »
On the 1901 census, James is recorded as "married" (and living in Rowton House, a working man's "hotel") whilst Susan EGAN is recorded as "single" (and living with her widowed mother Susan TAYLOR) on the same census.

There is a record of a James JOHNSON (aged 30, father Richard JOHNSON) marrying an Ada BRISCO (aged 21, father William John BRISCO) on 15 JUL 1894 at St. Peter's, Hammersmith.  James's age and father's name match the information already given (unfortunately, I can't seem to access the original image at the moment, so can't see if there's any further information re. witnesses etc.).

I have to go out now, but perhaps someone can find out what happened to Ada?

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 12:38 GMT (UK) »
James Johnson is a painter - as is the James Johnson in 1901.  Witnesses Harry Booth and Sarah Booth.
James' address is 1 Beresford Road.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk