Author Topic: Cannot find proof of Marriage, does that mean there was not one?  (Read 2460 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot find proof of Marriage, does that mean there was not one?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Ada Briscoe age 7 on 1881 census b Chelsea d/o William J and Jane Briscoe living Lots Rd, Chesham Terrace , Chelsea, father cab driver

In 1891 FindMyPast has family name as Briseve, Ada still with parents William and Jane in Chelsea, but at Luna street
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »
James Johnson is a painter - as is the James Johnson in 1901.  Witnesses Harry Booth and Sarah Booth.
James' address is 1 Beresford Road.

I am sure this is the James I am after as the 1 Beresford Road (although it is really Berestede Road) is where the Johnson family resided during the 1891 census.

So now the question is what happened to Ada and where does Susan fit into the picture.

This has given me another clue so Thank you!
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 15:54 GMT (UK) »
On the 1901 census, James is recorded as "married" (and living in Rowton House, a working man's "hotel") whilst Susan EGAN is recorded as "single" (and living with her widowed mother Susan TAYLOR) on the same census.

There is a record of a James JOHNSON (aged 30, father Richard JOHNSON) marrying an Ada BRISCO (aged 21, father William John BRISCO) on 15 JUL 1894 at St. Peter's, Hammersmith.  James's age and father's name match the information already given (unfortunately, I can't seem to access the original image at the moment, so can't see if there's any further information re. witnesses etc.).

I have to go out now, but perhaps someone can find out what happened to Ada?

Pennie

Thank you for this. I have located and downloaded the image. It is the correct James as the address matches what I have for the 1891 census. Just need to unravel the rest as so far cannot locate a death for Ada nor what happened to her.
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 18:03 GMT (UK) »

Births
Dec 1873
Ada Jane BRISCOE
Chelsea RD
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
The possibilities are endless.

Were the Egans Catholic? Were the Johnsons Protestant? If so, that might have been a barrier to marriage.

Have you got a birth and/or baptism for the eldest child, listed in 1911 as Harold Johnson, 9, born in Queen's Park? It might help you narrow down the timeline for when James and Susan were together.

Re. the 1901 census: Both entries might be correct or Susan might have been listed as single in error or James might have been listed as married in error.

Do the birth records for all of Susan's children list the same maiden name for her? (In case her surname was not listed as Egan on her marriage record.)

Have you got death records for James and Susan? Have you seen their obits? (Just to make sure you have the right James in all the records that have been cited.)

Good luck in your search!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 November 15 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Ada Jane Briscoe, b. q4, 1873, Chelsea; m. James Johnson, q3, 1894, Fulham

But, does she die ??

Regards,

JMB
Ballard/Hew/Mitchell/Mountcastle/Palmer/Spicer/White

Offline JMB1943

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 November 15 03:39 GMT (UK) »
The best fit in terms of age & location is, death of Ada Johnson, q3 1938, Chelsea @ 75 yrs.

Your James & Susan may well have been common-law husband & wife.

Regards,

JMB
Ballard/Hew/Mitchell/Mountcastle/Palmer/Spicer/White

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 November 15 06:33 GMT (UK) »

Were the Egans Catholic? Were the Johnsons Protestant? If so, that might have been a barrier to marriage.

Have you got a birth and/or baptism for the eldest child, listed in 1911 as Harold Johnson, 9, born in Queen's Park? It might help you narrow down the timeline for when James and Susan were together.

Re. the 1901 census: Both entries might be correct or Susan might have been listed as single in error or James might have been listed as married in error.

Do the birth records for all of Susan's children list the same maiden name for her? (In case her surname was not listed as Egan on her marriage record.)

Have you got death records for James and Susan? Have you seen their obits? (Just to make sure you have the right James in all the records that have been cited.)

Regards,
Josephine

I have only one of their child's birth certificate, their daughter. I am unable to find the sons in the registry as there are just so many that fit the criteria how do I know which is correct. Hoping to eventually get death certificates for the sons which might help lead to correct birth year.

I need to get the death records for both Susan and James. Although I do have some death information on Susan such as funeral card, actual invoice for funeral and burial location. As far as I know there are no obits for either of them. Does not seem to be the thing done here in UK for everyone.

I thank you for the help and suggestions.

Sharon

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 November 15 08:39 GMT (UK) »

Regards,
Josephine

I have only one of their child's birth certificate, their daughter. I am unable to find the sons in the registry as there are just so many that fit the criteria how do I know which is correct. Hoping to eventually get death certificates for the sons which might help lead to correct birth year.

I need to get the death records for both Susan and James. Although I do have some death information on Susan such as funeral card, actual invoice for funeral and burial location. As far as I know there are no obits for either of them. Does not seem to be the thing done here in UK for everyone.

I thank you for the help and suggestions.

Sharon

The probate indexes can be very helpful, since it is common for close relatives (who are named...) to be executors.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk