Author Topic: CULLUMBINE -Collumbine -Columbine.  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Grandad james

• Rest in Peace Jim Ellis
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • FamilyHistory addict. My problems are all relative
    • View Profile
CULLUMBINE -Collumbine -Columbine.
« on: Thursday 22 July 04 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hello ,
I am assisting a very close friend who is not internet connected.
His family are CULLUMBINE from  Worsbro area
and have in various census occurred with the variations Collumbine and Columbine.

They were at various numbers in  Pensioners Row Worsbro Common for 1881 1891 and 1901 and I am hoping to make contact with any one with any possible connections .
Any information would be most welcome.
Cheers  :)
Grandad james.
BOORER/BORER/BORRER/BOARER,Origins in
Surrey,Sussex,Kent and London.
BOORER/BORER? Registered One Name Study -WORLDWIDE.
ELLIS Richmond Surrey. Fletching Sussex
FREEMAN Chertsey , Isleworth Middx and Richmond Surrey.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: CULLUMBINE -Collumbine -Columbine.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grandad James

Sorry we have been so little help to you on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grandad james

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ticker,
Many thanks for your message .
I have had a couple of useful replies from racey.

""Hi,

I have just seen your message on the Rootschat website. This is what I know about my branch of the Cullumbines:
William Cullumbine born 1812 in Mansfield, Nottingham. Married Bessy Denton 16/1/1832 Silkstone.
In 1851 they were living in Worsborough, with their children, Martha, Thomas, Harriet, Barbara and Ellen. William, Bessy, Martha and Ellen worked as linen weavers at this time.
By 1881 William and Bessy were publicans of the Wellington Inn in Jump, Barnsley. William died in 1883 and Bessy in 1896 aged 84.
Martha Cullumbine was my great great grandmother and I have a painting of her. Sometimes their name is spelt Columbine which is probably how I would have expected it to be spelt. It did cause me problems in the early days of researching.
Martha married Jonathan Lee and they had one son, John William. Their family lived in Jump up to my mother's generation.
I think it's pretty likely that our Cullumbines are connected. Now we just have to find out how!

Regards,

Racey ""

Hi,
I've just been sent an interesting letter from a gentleman in Morecambe. He enclosed a copy of the 1841 census for Worsbro and on it was my Cullumbine ancestors, William and Bessy, with children Harriet and Martha. Most interestingly, there was a James Cullumbine living at the same address. His age is given as 20 (slightly younger than your James Cullumbine would have been) and occupation as Linen Weaver. I wonder if this is your James Cullumbine. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us the relationship between James and William (possibly brothers?)
I hope this is of some interest to you. Please let me know if you'd like me to email copies of the census.

Regards,

Clare Bell

and my friends info ....

Hello, Thank you so much for getting in contact.

My friends family ,as far as we have got , is descended from a James Cullumbine,born about 1817/18 and his place of birth is given as Sutton Yorks and also Sutton Notts in different census. He was shown as Linen weaver 1881/1891.
His son another James was born about 1852 in Worsbro.
This son James married a Margaret and they had 11 children
The family are at various addresses in Pensioners Row worsbrough  in 1881 1891 and 1901 .Under variations in spelling of the surname.
My friends Father John Cullumbine was born in 1905 at Shambles Street, Barnsley.

I would agree that a connection is more than likely and probably through your William and our James .

Possibly brothers..

Thats about it at the moment. 

Interestingly there are some on Genes Reunited but I have not received any feedback .Not unusual in my experience as with my One Name for Boorer I have had only about a 15% response . Changed my aftershave and had a haircut but no joy.. ;D

Thanks .
James.

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Grandad,

I took the liberty of looking up your Cullumbine's on the NBI 2  There are quite a few, would you like them?

Fitty
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Grandad james

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Good evening fitty,

Love your Autumn leaves ..

Yes please ,I would appreciate them.

best wishes Grandad james. :-*

Offline pinkangelfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 November 04 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ticker,
Many thanks for your message .
I have had a couple of useful replies from racey.

""Hi,

I have just seen your message on the Rootschat website. This is what I know about my branch of the Cullumbines:
William Cullumbine born 1812 in Mansfield, Nottingham. Married Bessy Denton 16/1/1832 Silkstone.
In 1851 they were living in Worsborough, with their children, Martha, Thomas, Harriet, Barbara and Ellen. William, Bessy, Martha and Ellen worked as linen weavers at this time.
By 1881 William and Bessy were publicans of the Wellington Inn in Jump, Barnsley. William died in 1883 and Bessy in 1896 aged 84.
Martha Cullumbine was my great great grandmother and I have a painting of her. Sometimes their name is spelt Columbine which is probably how I would have expected it to be spelt. It did cause me problems in the early days of researching.
Martha married Jonathan Lee and they had one son, John William. Their family lived in Jump up to my mother's generation.
I think it's pretty likely that our Cullumbines are connected. Now we just have to find out how!

Regards,

Racey ""

Hi,
I've just been sent an interesting letter from a gentleman in Morecambe. He enclosed a copy of the 1841 census for Worsbro and on it was my Cullumbine ancestors, William and Bessy, with children Harriet and Martha. Most interestingly, there was a James Cullumbine living at the same address. His age is given as 20 (slightly younger than your James Cullumbine would have been) and occupation as Linen Weaver. I wonder if this is your James Cullumbine. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us the relationship between James and William (possibly brothers?)
I hope this is of some interest to you. Please let me know if you'd like me to email copies of the census.

Regards,

Clare Bell

and my friends info ....

Hello, Thank you so much for getting in contact.

My friends family ,as far as we have got , is descended from a James Cullumbine,born about 1817/18 and his place of birth is given as Sutton Yorks and also Sutton Notts in different census. He was shown as Linen weaver 1881/1891.
His son another James was born about 1852 in Worsbro.
This son James married a Margaret and they had 11 children
The family are at various addresses in Pensioners Row worsbrough  in 1881 1891 and 1901 .Under variations in spelling of the surname.
My friends Father John Cullumbine was born in 1905 at Shambles Street, Barnsley.

I would agree that a connection is more than likely and probably through your William and our James .

Possibly brothers..

Thats about it at the moment. 

Interestingly there are some on Genes Reunited but I have not received any feedback .Not unusual in my experience as with my One Name for Boorer I have had only about a 15% response . Changed my aftershave and had a haircut but no joy.. ;D

Thanks .
James.

Offline pinkangelfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 November 04 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Don't know if this helps any, but I'm a Cullumbine. My father grew up in Farndon north Notts, his mother was Katherine, he had a brother Les and a sister Maureen. Unfortunately I have never heard him speak of his father, (My grandad) except his family were from Ireland.  :-\

Offline Grandad james

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 November 04 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Don't know if this helps any, but I'm a Cullumbine. My father grew up in Farndon north Notts, his mother was Katherine, he had a brother Les and a sister Maureen. Unfortunately I have never heard him speak of his father, (My grandad) except his family were from Ireland.  :-\

Hello,
Thank you so much for the contact.  :)
I would be very pleased to share any information and I would be more than willing to see if we could make a connection between my friends Cullumbines and yours.
I have a reasonable experience in researching and if you want to let me have some details ,probably by personal message would be best , then I could see if I could find any references in the BMDs that would help with finding out a bit more about your grandad.
Best wishes ,
Bye for now.
James,

Offline joybriars

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 May 05 22:26 BST (UK) »
i am researching dorothy collumbine last known address lancashire but i think i may have found a link to quite a few collumbines in yorkshire 1928 - 1935 - any good to u?