Author Topic: 1939 Register for FindMyPast subscribers  (Read 7671 times)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1939 Register for FindMyPast subscribers
« on: Friday 13 November 15 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Just a heads-up for anyone thinking of renewing their FindMyPast subscription - access to the 1939 register is not included despite there being no mention of this on their home page, the 1939 search pages OR the receipt that you get when you renew (which encourages you to start exploring that resource straight away) - see my receipt.

When I immediately phoned to cancel my subscription I was told that there was a note regarding pay as you go for the 1939 register on the payment page.

Furthermore, while I appreciate the amount of effort involved in preparing the register for searching I think the cost per household is extortionate if you have already shelled out £100 on a subscription.

Not impressed, not renewing.

Paul

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register for FindMyPast subscribers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 November 15 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Same here, hopefully they'll soon get the message! Judging by the constant emails they're sending me urging me to look at the blessed thing, I suspect the take-up isn't that great - something equivalent to the hype produced by Ancestry when they were trying to sign people up to get their DNA checked (DNA does stand for the National Association of Dyslexics doesn't it?)

How FindMyPast can sell you a, so called, "Worldwide" subscription and then try to flog you some pay-per-view add on defeats me.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 November 15 16:15 GMT (UK) »
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/answer/can-i-unlock-a--register-household-with-my-subscription

There are lots of posts on here about it and the cost of a viewing. BUT when you consider the cost of obtaining the record from the archives and the cost to view on FindMyPast- it does not seem so bad  ;) No I will not be viewing my family on there, I will wait until it is part of the package and make do with the free information for now.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 November 15 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I paid for two records from the HSCIC 1939 Register Team in 2013 (total cost= £84) so you can understand my hesitance in putting off any further expenditure on these records for the time being. Those two records were transcripts too why didn't I get the images? Surely an image could have been provided for a one off purchase? The old service closed on 2 Nov 2015 and the site now refers customers to FindMyPast:-

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/register-service

It may help to provide more collections sooner in the future if we spend our money with reckless abandon every time something new appears but it can also leave a bitter taste when we look back at what we have paid out for these records over the years.

Blue

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 November 15 16:56 GMT (UK) »
If it was pay per view and I desperately wanted to view a record then £6 odd isn't that bad (compared to a cert!) - but it's the fact that it's in addition to a subscription and that this isn't well signed before you renew that got my goat up!

I'll wait a few years until the pricing is sensible and spend my money at Ancestry in the meantime.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 November 15 16:57 GMT (UK) »
I paid for two records from the HSCIC 1939 Register Team in 2013 (total cost= £84) so you can understand my hesitance in putting off any further expenditure on these records for the time being. Those two records were transcripts too why didn't I get the images? Surely an image could have been provided for a one off purchase? The old service closed on 2 Nov 2015 and the site now refers customers to FindMyPast:-

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/register-service

It may help to provide more collections sooner in the future if we spend our money with reckless abandon every time something new appears but it can also leave a bitter taste when we look back at what we have paid out for these records over the years.

Blue

On the other hand - you could always give up on family history and pursue a cheaper hobby/obsession  ;D ;D ;D

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 November 15 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmm, I can understand that Findmypast need to charge separately for the 1939 register to cover the costs of obtaining and transcribing it. But they need to make it clearer that it's not part of a subscription! There's been a lot of build-up to the release of the 1939 register on the website's front page, they need to make it obvious it's not part of any of their packages.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 November 15 16:59 GMT (UK) »

LOL.

Let's face it, the price will almost certainly fall and the records will be around forever - my descendants/relatives can pick up the tab if they want to continue the work after I'm gone  ;D

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 November 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
But they need to make it clearer that it's not part of a subscription!

It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere; I was flabbergasted to find that it wasn't and felt ripped-off.

EDIT: If the front page said 'pay an extra £x on top of your subscription for access to the 1939 register' I would probably have paid it (within reason) but they seem to be going about selling it in an underhand way.