Author Topic: Please can anyone help me to use windows 10  (Read 2204 times)

Offline zena 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Please can anyone help me to use windows 10
« on: Sunday 15 November 15 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Can anyone explaine why I am not able to use edge, I have just spent nearly 3hours to download the new updates for 10 and still I get the following warning.

Microsoft Edge Protection Warning
Edge does not yet allow extensions which enable McAffee  to protect your personal information and Identity, We recommend using Internet Explorer so McAffee can continue protecting you, to help you we'll unpin Edge from your taskbar and pin Internet Explorer.
                (Fix Now)or (Accept Risk)

So have clicked fix. I would like to be able to use 10. so  does anyone have any suggestions please.
                Thanks for any input          Zena

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please can anyone help me to use windows 10
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 15 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes I had that problem too. The answer seems to be to use another browser until McAfee makes itself compatible with Edge. I opted for google chrome and its working OK if a little slower than my old machine that had internet explorer on it (my old machine died which is why i opted for a different browser this time)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline zena 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 15 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi davidft
                    Thank you for replying to me post, I will try Chrome and see how I get and let you know.   
                         Thanks a lot
                          Zena

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 November 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Have had a new laptop with W10 for a couple of weeks now.

OH removed Mcafee, Windows now has ok security as long as you are carefull what you do and don't click on random things.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2756237/windows-mcafee.html

and have chosen to use Mozilla firefox because there are issues on here with Edge and fuctionality ie smilies don't work not does text formatting (bold, italic, underline)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline zena 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 15 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
      Thanks for your input, Have down loaded Chrome which  davidft  suggested but still keep getting the warning. feel as I must have a good security.I would like to get back to 8.1 to much hassle with 10 trying to sort this out.
       Thank you both for your help
            Zena

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 15 23:50 GMT (UK) »
The best thing to do with windows 10 is roll back to 8.1
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline zena 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Aussie Roy. Do you think it is to late to turn windows back to 8'1 I think we only had a month to change back. or have you any idea's how to. ?
  Thank you for your input

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 23:19 GMT (UK) »
I've used Windows 10 since it was available.  I've had no problems at all.  I don't use Edge, I don't like it, it's apparently a replacement for IE which I stopped using years ago.  I've not used any separate security since I first got Windows 8 on my new laptop.  According to Which magazine, Microsoft security on Windows 8 onwards is as good as any of the paid for ones.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Microsoft trace Windows 10 users intensively; there is another thread on here about this. Suggest anyone concerned instals Spybot Anti Beacon.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)