Author Topic: Walkins from Lorrha  (Read 693 times)

Offline astromuzza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walkins from Lorrha
« on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!

Further to my post regarding John Smith, I am very interested in the surname Walkins. On the transcript of my great grandparents' marriage my great grandfather's mother's name is noted as Catherine Wilkinson. However after checking the baptismal records on registers.nli.ie I'm pretty sure that this is a transcription error and that her name is in fact Catherine Walkins.

From some further research it seems that this is a fairly rare surname in the North Riding area of Tipperary. The only others I can see in the area are a Mary Walkins living at Lissernane and a Margaret from Terryglass (both from Griffith's Valuation) and a Dolly Walkins who was a witness of the marriage of John Smith and Catherine Walkins (from the Lorrha & Dorrha parish registers).

Would anyone have any information on this surname and/or family in the area around Lorrha?

Cheers,
Mario

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Walkins from Lorrha
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mario,
Yes there was a William Walkins in Lorrha in the Tithe records.
He must have rented 2 areas or owned 2 areas in Liscerane
Walkins Wm Liscernane Lorrha Tipperary 1824
Walkins  Liscernane Lorrha Tipperary 1824

In the 1901 census of Ireland it says, Lissernane and this is the spelling today, this is also next to Abbeyville or Abbeville
Also listed is a Darcy family.

Have you got a PC? (you can't do this on a iPad) if you have type in Lissernane, a map will show will Lissernane highlighted in red. n the left of the screen is a box showing trees.click on it and it takes you to the area.
turn the pointer on the mouse left and go along the road this is the R438 (Athlone road)
go along until you see a lane "L1080" go past that and keep a look out for a stone wall, you will have just passed a yellow truck, behind the wall is a big house, this is Abbeville.
Let me know if you can get to see it.
Maggsie

Offline astromuzza

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Walkins from Lorrha
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Maggsie,

Thanks for the information regarding the Walkins family. 1824 would be about the time of Catherine Walkins birth and because of the proximity of Lissernane to Abbeville and the rarity of the Walkins name in the area I'm going to pencil William in as Catherine's father. I also note from Griffith's Valuation that in 1852 there is a Mary Walkins living in Lissernane so I'll pencil her in as her mother.....

Thanks for the trip through the Lorrha countryside - very green!

Cheers,
Mario