Author Topic: shorncliffe barracks  (Read 1288 times)

Offline ginnerboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
shorncliffe barracks
« on: Thursday 26 November 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace any records of soldiers who were at shorncliffe around 1860s who lived in married quarters at that time, plus also trying to trace more on a george brumpton who died there on the 7th sept 1865 and would he have been buried locally. any help would be great

thanks all

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: shorncliffe barracks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
If he died while serving they would not have kept his service record. I cannot find him on FreeBMD. If you can get  his death certificate there is a good chance it gives his regiment. You can then follow his army service using the muster books in Kew.

I cannot find him on Findmypast's soldiers index of 1861. If you have Ancestry and want to study the census in case of a possible transcription error you can drill down 1861 - Kent - Cheriton and three out of the five districts have a reference to the camp.

If you find a possible match then go to the front of the section and you should get a regiment or at least an officer's name which can then be referenced in Army Lists.

Ken

Offline ginnerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 November 15 06:10 GMT (UK) »
sorry, i should have made things a little clearer, i know he was in the 89th foot regiment (service number 2448) and he served the regiment for 18 years, he died at shorncliffe on the 7th sept 1865, i would like to trace a record for possible married quarters as this will tell me more information on names of his children as his wife and children were with him at the time of death.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 November 15 07:52 GMT (UK) »
You may be unlucky. Muster books start to include details of the married establishment towards the end of the 1860s. You will have to look to see if the one for 1865 includes it or not. The information given is wife's forename and the ages of children in years and months. You can then go back to previous musters books and see where he was when a child was born, and look at church records. Findmypast also have army births online. But not all births were registered.

90% of the 89th Foot were in India in 1861. The rest were in a depot in the UK - location unknown - often it was Chatham.

If the aim is to find his children - and you have looked at overseas/regimental BMDs, or the Indian records in the British Library - then the best way is to use the muster books. As said, these tell you where the soldier was each month. You then have to look at church records.

Ken