Author Topic: Joannes (Giovanni/John) Benussi of Rovigno (In Italy, Austria, France, Croatia)  (Read 524 times)

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
  • Reaching through the Mists of Time
    • View Profile
Now that I have nailed down his name (several variations) and the place of birth (town stays the same although sometimes spelled Rovinj), but the country changed with the various spoils of war... I am trying to locate John's parents and/or siblings.

I know they were catholic, he was born in 1813.  Moved to the UK, listed as a mariner initially.  He owned and operated a pawnbroker shop and ultimately became a ship owner (The Marinus) in Liverpool until he died in 1904.

He married Jane Beck (b 1820) in Liverpool in 1841.  Their eldest daughter Euphemia (b 1842) married Captain de Angelini, his son Joseph martin (b 1849) took over the business until he sold it.  They also had a daughter Rosa Anna Benussi (b 1848).

Any assistance tracking them in (what is now Croatia) would be appreciated!
Regards, Carol
Johnston - New Zealand; Scotland
Brookes - New Zealand; England
Morris- Liverpool Lancs, UK; New Zealand
Hatter - Wiltshire UK; Otago New Zealand
Ainslie & Strachan - Midlothian, Scotland; New Zealand
Paull -St Agnes, St Columb Minor Parish Cornwall; South Africa; New Zealand
Gould & Reece- Stroud, Gloucestershire UK; New Zealand
Oakly - Australia, NZ; UK
Downes -UK; Australia; NZ
Kinghorn - Jamaica; England; Scotland
Murphy - County Kerry, Ireland; NZ

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joannes (Giovanni/John) Benussi of Rovigno (In Italy, Austria, France, Croatia)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 December 15 19:29 GMT (UK) »
You're in luck, in that these have been digitised by the LDS
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2040054

The records for Rovinj don't seem to be indexed but if you scroll down to 'Browse through...', pick Roman Catholic, and then Rovinj, there are image sets (digitised microfilm) for you to search through.

Might be a little bit of a slog to locate him but they do cover 1813! You should be able to spot siblings if they were born in the same town.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
  • Reaching through the Mists of Time
    • View Profile
Re: Joannes (Giovanni/John) Benussi of Rovigno (In Italy, Austria, France, Croatia)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic news!  Thanks for that... I will give it a go over the next couple of days.  Wish me luck and thanks very much for the info:)
Regards, Carol
Johnston - New Zealand; Scotland
Brookes - New Zealand; England
Morris- Liverpool Lancs, UK; New Zealand
Hatter - Wiltshire UK; Otago New Zealand
Ainslie & Strachan - Midlothian, Scotland; New Zealand
Paull -St Agnes, St Columb Minor Parish Cornwall; South Africa; New Zealand
Gould & Reece- Stroud, Gloucestershire UK; New Zealand
Oakly - Australia, NZ; UK
Downes -UK; Australia; NZ
Kinghorn - Jamaica; England; Scotland
Murphy - County Kerry, Ireland; NZ

Offline Yenarylle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Now that I have nailed down his name (several variations) and the place of birth (town stays the same although sometimes spelled Rovinj), but the country changed with the various spoils of war... I am trying to locate John's parents and/or siblings.

I know they were catholic, he was born in 1813.  Moved to the UK, listed as a mariner initially.  He owned and operated a pawnbroker shop and ultimately became a ship owner (The Marinus) in Liverpool until he died in 1904.

He married Jane Beck (b 1820) in Liverpool in 1841.  Their eldest daughter Euphemia (b 1842) married Captain de Angelini, his son Joseph martin (b 1849) took over the business until he sold it.  They also had a daughter Rosa Anna Benussi (b 1848).

Any assistance tracking them in (what is now Croatia) would be appreciated!
Regards, Carol

Hi Carol,

I hope it's ok to resurrect this old thread but I was wondering whether you had found out any information on Giovanni Benussi and his family? My partner is a descendant of his through his illegitimate daughter, Sarah Bennis Evans (1840-1911), whose mother was Elizabeth Evans (1821-1911). So they would have had their dalliance before he married Jane Beck and hopefully after his first wife, Elizabeth Beck, passed away in the hope he would have been a single man!

I know that Giovanni's father was also called Giovanni and born in Rovigno in 1790 and that he had at least one brother, Domenico. But not sure who the mother was or when Domenico was born. I've also seen that Domenico had two sons in Rovigno, Ludovico (1838) and Giovanni (1844). The latter of whom also moved to Liverpool and married Mary Flint in 1873.

Any other information you've managed to find out would be fascinating to know. I can't take credit for any of that research above - it was done by a very distant relative of my partner's from Canada!

Many thanks,

Alessandra