Author Topic: A Private Hotel in Neutral Bay Sydney c1960  (Read 1495 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Private Hotel in Neutral Bay Sydney c1960
« on: Saturday 05 December 15 03:11 GMT (UK) »
I remember staying temporarily (just arrived in Australia from NZ aged 6) in a large private hotel or guest house in Neutral Bay, Sydney in early 1960. It was near the jetty, and windows had a view right over the harbour. It was pretty old fashioned, and among the residents were some elderly ladies who entertained me with stories of their careers on stage - I remember they had very bright red lipstick! Would anyone know the possible name of this place? I've done some searches and it is possible it could be 'the Royal" but I am not sure. Does anyone have memories of this area in the 1960's?
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: A Private Hotel in Neutral Bay Sydney c1960
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 December 15 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Many, many properties have undergone redevelopment since the 1960's. Can you remember the Street name IE: Hayes Street which runs down to the Wharf? In the 60's there were lots of private hotels and Boarding houses at Neutral Bay, Milsons Point and Lavender Bay. But with the massive rise in prices they became uneconomical to operate and were sold off. Where was the small BEACH "added" located to the hotel which is east of the wharf?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 December 15 07:34 GMT (UK) »
thanks Neil - sorry, but I don't know the name of the street, only that it ran directly to where you caught the ferry to the city. I'm hoping that someone who used to live in the area remembers it. We stayed there about 2 or 3 weeks until my parents were able to rent a house (things were really tight and I remember going to see potential rentals with my parents, only to be turned away because children would be in the house!).
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 December 15 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Googled "history of neutral bay",there is walking tour along Hayes st with information about each residence.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 December 15 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks I got that - the one it could be is the Royal Guest House. I'm just hoping someone remembers it a bit better than me! I seem to recall those arches - I think parts of the wide upper verandahs were filled in to make the rooms bigger, because I recall sleeping in what I considered to be an alcove with curtains across it.

Offline Coffs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Just spotted this. Yes with many others I stayed at the Royal Private Hotel, Hayes Street, Neutral Bay, Sydney NSW for many years. Initially after just leaving school in 1960 I came to the city to get into accounting - studying and enjoying the friendships for nearly eight years. The Private Hotel was located right on Sydney Harbour. Ferries were 40 metres away and great views were had from the three floors. People once told me it had been an upmarket establishment in the 1920s - such that Errol Flynn once allegedly stayed there with his mother. During the 1980s it was replaced by a new upmarket apartment building - and the developer had to replicate the outside shape. Hence it still brings back great memories. Many of my friends came from that era, including the girls - hard to believe as we only saw them in those quaint hair rollers!!   Peter           

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Peter, thanks so much for your reply! I remember a number of elderly ladies who wore bright red lipstick. They had memories of being 'on stage' and I suppose they were living out their days there - maybe friends together from variety shows. The dining room was all white starched tablecloths and silver - a bit tarnished. hot water on my corn flakes (ugg!) because there was a milk strike....but for me it was a time of confusion and excitement - a new country, uncertainty for my parents, no money, and a 'credit squeeze'. we then moved to Manly - 13 James St - a magical house really, a beautiful hidden garden. I must look into that rumour re Errol Flynn!!

Offline Judea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 April 24 05:07 BST (UK) »
It was at 9 Hayes Street, Neutral Bay.  A little run down by the early 70's but a fun place to stay and a view to die for.  Spent all my pay on a 9' x 5' room, with the exterior wall being a window overlooking the jetty and the harbour.  A 3 bed apartment in the replacement building sold in 2017 for AU$5.05million.

Offline Judea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 00:26 BST (UK) »
In the early 70's known at The Royal Private Hotel, 9 Hayes Street, Neutral Bay 2089