Author Topic: Charlotte Thompson M:1802 John Tindall Convict)  (Read 4877 times)

Offline tracy67

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Thompson M:1802 John Tindall Convict)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 December 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I am from John Tindall side (convict)
Daug Hannah t tyndall married james wheeler sharland
Daug Matilda born as wheeler married Henry Newham
Daug Mary Louisa Newham Married John Florance
Son Jack Florance born as John married Florence Holloway uk (Jack died at war iraq)
Daug Queenie florence Florance married Harold Winifred bennett Beckhaus WHO are my grand parents.
Daug Marlene Beckhaus married Graham Osborne
Daug ME

That's a long list
Thanks
Tracy

Offline tracy67

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 December 15 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention I have Mary Louisa Newham birth certificate and I have matilda and henry marriage certificate
jack birth certificate john florance and florence holloway marriage
Have grand parents birth marriage death certificates

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 December 15 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I take it that you have confirmed/validated your tree back to Matilda, born 1828, and you wish to confirm/validate back earlier than her parents (James and Hannah).   

I can see that various independent transcribers have, over the past decades, noted that her baptism is under the SURNAME of Wheeler. I wonder if Rev FULTON’s register has been checked for other baptisms (not in that family), to compare where either parent has more than one given name.   

Anyway, I can confirm that my offline resources include:   

Hannah TYNDALL married James W SHARLAND in 1822  (see later this post for the NSW BDM references)

Correspondence NSW Col Secretary’s Office
28 January 1822 and 6 February 1822, James SHARLAND ex the ship Somersetshire of 1814 sought permission to marry Hannah TYNDAL at Castlereagh. 

18 Feb 1822
James Waller SHARLAND, Prisoner, signed and Hannah TYNDALL, Free, X mark were married 18 February 1822 by Banns, witnesses William CLARK and MaryAnn FIELD (both X mark).  Marriage registered Christ Church C of E, by Rev. Henry FULTON.  (Note that I am looking at a transcription of that registration, NOT at an image of the register). 

13 Oct 1828
Matilda, daughter of James WHEELER and Hannah SHARLAND,of Evan, was baptised 10 November 1828 by Henry FULTON, registered Christ Church C of E, Castlereagh.  James Wheeler noted as a Carpenter.  (Again, I am looking at a transcription, NOT at an image of the register)
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCT-49K
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTX4-CP8 

NSW BDM Volume 12, Line 282, 1828.   Indexed under WHEELER, with Hannah as (Sharland)
I think the marriage of James and Hannah is Volume 155 line 187, 1822 and also Col 3B, line 2882. The NSW BDM index is under SHARLAND = TYNDALL.   

Here's a live link to the NSW Col Secretary's papers 1788-1825.   
http://colsec.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/colsec/default.htm  (oops, added this link later, as this is the link I use)

The index is excellent, particularly now that NSW State Records has a current partnership with Ancestry and many of those papers listed in the index have been imaged and are available online.  Ancestry is likely available via many public libraries for those without a subscription.   The index includes entries under the names of ships of arrival eg Somersetshire, and under the clergy by name too.... eg under Henry FULTON Snr there's this INDEX entry "1822 Jul 29 Re case of James Sherland and his desire that he be assigned to his wife, a free woman" (Add there's an 'e' between the 'h' and the 'r' on the index  :)  :) ).... Perhaps that would be your Matilda's parents... I think it would be worthwhile to follow up those NSW State Records, with an inspection of the image on (Reel 6017; 4/5783 pp.109-10)

The indexes of those 1820s records were prepared in the 1900s (Add, for the NSW BDMs mainly in the 1930s) so more than 100 years after the documents were created.  There will be ink bleeds, there will be poor hand-writing to decipher, and torn pages etc.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/colonial-secretary/index-to-the-colonial-secretarys-papers-1788-1825    Included in that document is the following statement :
Digital copies of the Colonial Secretary’s Papers 1788-1825 can now be viewed free of charge on Ancestry.com - you  will be asked to complete a guest registration but access is free.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline annemr108

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 May 18 04:30 BST (UK) »
I am also a descendant of John Tindall and Charlotte Thompson... there must be tens of thousands of us by now, I think.

Charlotte Thompson Tindall did not marry Thomas Mansell. The application for marriage has her arriving in the colony on a different ship. Our Charlotte arrived on "Friends" in 1811. Charlotte Tindall is also listed on an 1841 Census with her family at Penrith.

She and her son, George, were also charged in 1842 (not guilty) of stealing pork.

However, what happened to her is a mystery. I can't find any record of a death for her.

Charlotte and John Tindall's daughter, Charlotte, is my 3X great-grandmother. Charlotte jnr married John Bowles in 1839.

If there is anyone with a burial record for Charlotte Thompson Tindall... we would love to know the details.

Kind regards
Anne

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 May 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

Here's a Charlotte ex the vessel North Britain   :) 

Charlotte TINDAL who married Thomas MANSELL 10 June 1839 was recorded as aged 21 on the Applications to Marry.  OOPPPPPSSSS 10 June 1839 is date of the Application to Marry.  marriage 15 July 1839.

Thomas Mansell, 38, ex Florentia (2), Life, Ticket of Leave, (39/0589)
and
Charlotte TINDAL 21, ex North Britain, Free/Free,
Rev Henry FULTON at Castlereagh, 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCL-L4M
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZK-C98

Cheers,  JM  (edit to correct dates, JM mis-read)

:)  I am not a descendant.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline annemr108

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 May 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks, JM

The Charlotte Tindall on the North Britain, and married Thomas Mansell, is not Charlotte Thompson who married John Tindall.

I am looking for the death of the latter Charlotte Thompson Tindall... who arrived in 1811 and was already married to John Tindall prior to his transportation.

Cheers
Anne