Author Topic: Double Lodge Hastings  (Read 538 times)

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Double Lodge Hastings
« on: Wednesday 16 December 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
The 1886 marriage of one of my relatives (Henrietta Pollard) to Edward Sinden shows their residence at the time of marriage as being St Helen's Double Lodge which is on the Ridge.

Does anyone know anything about this house and how it might be that both were apparently living there at the time of their marriage? Were they lodging there or was it the practice to name a temporary residence for the purposes of the marriage?

Henrietta is shown in the 1881 census as the Parlourmaid for George Griffin, a prosperous leather merchant who had a house in St Helen's Wood. Did he also own Double Lodge? It certainly doesn't look big enough to be his main house which the census shows as having 12 residents.

Incidentally, Henrietta was descended from a long line of Bootmakers from Woolpit in Suffolk. It is possible to conjecture that George Griffin was a leather supplier to the Pollard Bootmakers and that he provided Henrietta with a job.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Double Lodge Hastings
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 December 15 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have looked in a few directories from Kelly's and the Post Office around that time but can see no mention of a Double Lodge in Hastings, so no help there I am afraid.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Double Lodge Hastings
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 December 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sean,
Thank you very much for researching this for me. Double Lodge does/did exist. It is on the Ridge next to the Robert de Mortain Pub. The following web link shows a photo of the building on Wikipedia and is detailed as being at the track that entered St Helen's Wood.

https://goo.gl/1YkI93

Photo attributed to Simon Carey [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons from Wikimedia Commons