Author Topic: ancestors, how did they really feel ?  (Read 473 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ancestors, how did they really feel ?
« on: Wednesday 16 December 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Do you ever wonder how they felt or their opions of the times when they lived ? Society , wars, inventions etc. I would like to ask the ladies about marriage. Knowing that you could die during the first year due to childbirth , how did this effect them ? What questions would you ask ?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ancestors, how did they really feel ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I suppose the poorer ones just existed and the more wealthy just lived as they do now. The poorer ones would emigrate and hope for a better life in their new country.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 14:11 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor, John Pearle, was born in 1541 and probably spent his entire life in the village of Rattlesden, Suffolk, where he was described as 'Yeoman and Parish Officer'.  He died in Rattlesden in 1637 at the age of 96.  When he was born, Henry VIII was busy dissolving the monasteries.  Johns life spanned the reigns of Edward VI, Mary Tudor, Elizabeth I, James I, and he died in the reign of Charles I, narrowly missing the English Civil War.

What I would like to know is whether he and the other people in the village were aware of all these events; or if they were too remote to be of any relevance to their everyday lives.  Presumably they would have obtained information from passing travellers, but how else would important information such as the death of a monarch reach such remote rural settlements?
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 15:38 GMT (UK) »
What a fascinating life greensleeves! At least to us anyway . I agree with your points , it's all part of my curiosity too. How much of the wider world did reach them and their reactions to it if any.

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 15:49 GMT (UK) »
well I suppose  via changes in who the local clergy /gentry were....for example they would know when henry 8 took over as Supreme Governor of the Church  of England....  they would have had to fall into line when  the Monarch changed ie  Edward  to Mary to Elizabeth ....
Although these things would take time to percolate through..no 6 o'clock news and very very few could read/write.