Author Topic: Philips Park Cemetery  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Michala1981

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Philips Park Cemetery
« on: Friday 18 December 15 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

In Oct 2016, Philip's Park Cemetery celebrates its 150th birthday. To coincide with this myself and the Friends of PPC are putting together an exhibition, which will be on display from Oct-Dec 2016 at Manchester's Central Library. I am currently looking for personal stories of any relatives or friends that are buried in the cemetery. If you feel you can help, please drop me a message.  :) 

Best Wishes

Michala

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Philips Park Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello,  my maternal grandparents are buried there and my paternal ones
There is a monument for the first but nothing for the second but I have the grave papers and can find it easily.
If you are interested I have the receipts for the second grave( they were very poor people and it took two years to pay for the funeral!)They paid six shillings and five shillings about every few months.
 I`ll tell you about these  people if that is of any use, I`ve not put anything here as I do understand it may not be quite  what you want.
You`ll know about the Crossley family and their good work among the poor of Ancoats   and Frank Crossley`s magnificent  gravestone .              Viktoria..

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 December 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
My paternal g.g.grandmother, paternal g.grandparents are all buried in Philips Park Cemetery, as are my maternal g.grandparents and one of their sons.  I don't know what kind of information you need, do you want to know about their lives.

Lizzie

Offline Michala1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 December 15 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria,

Would it be ok to get your email address so I can email you in the new year and ask you a few questions about your ancestors? I know quite a bit about the Crossley family 'Sir Francis of Ancoats'... but would love to hear about your family.

Thanks again

Michala

Hello,  my maternal grandparents are buried there and my paternal ones
There is a monument for the first but nothing for the second but I have the grave papers and can find it easily.
If you are interested I have the receipts for the second grave( they were very poor people and it took two years to pay for the funeral!)They paid six shillings and five shillings about every few months.
 I`ll tell you about these  people if that is of any use, I`ve not put anything here as I do understand it may not be quite  what you want.
You`ll know about the Crossley family and their good work among the poor of Ancoats   and Frank Crossley`s magnificent  gravestone .              Viktoria..

Offline Michala1981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 December 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

Please could you send me your email so I can ask you a few questions? My email is philipsparkcemetery@gmail.com

Best Wishes

Michala

My paternal g.g.grandmother, paternal g.grandparents are all buried in Philips Park Cemetery, as are my maternal g.grandparents and one of their sons.  I don't know what kind of information you need, do you want to know about their lives.

Lizzie

Offline will-o-wisp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 January 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My paternal grandfather, Herbert Callister is buried in Philips Park Cemetery.  Grave No. 1037, Position 12, in the C of E Section 1 (Pauper's grave).  Very long story, but grandad disappeared in 1927 and nothing was known about him, until I started to research my family tree and discovered that he had died in July 1946 in Prestwich Workhouse and been buried in an unmarked grave in PPC. The sad thing is, that he had family at the time of his death and needn't have had a pauper's funeral.  We have subsequently placed a cross on his grave/
Blower, Blakeley, Callister

Offline dizzybella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 January 16 00:12 GMT (UK) »
i have a few intresting family, buried in Philips Park ..could i leave copy of the info at the office for you??..on my next visit