Author Topic: 1875-Birth registration?  (Read 685 times)

Offline pebbles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1875-Birth registration?
« on: Friday 15 July 05 20:50 BST (UK) »
On a recent request for a birth certificate I was informed that although registration came into being in 1837, it was not compulsory to register a childs birth until after 1875. Can anyone verify whether  this is correct?

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: 1875-Birth registration?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 05 22:15 BST (UK) »
Pebbles

You are right.  Just checked my Anthony Adolph book and he says "In 1875 parents became legally obliged to register their children's births within six weeks, and were fined if caught not doing so."  He also says that up till then it is thought that up to 15% of births escaped registration.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1875-Birth registration?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 13:36 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was born 30 March 1871. She did not have a birth certificate. When she came to get her pension she had to get her Bapt certificate instead.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk