Author Topic: What Happened to Hilda Wilkinson?  (Read 2826 times)

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What Happened to Hilda Wilkinson?
« on: Saturday 19 December 15 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I thought I might have one last try at finding "mysterious" Hilda.

Hilda Wilkinson was born in Chorlton-cum-hardy, Manchester in Q4 1900 to Henry Wilkinson and Alice Brookes. Post 1911, she seems to have ended up in service at a house in Liverpool following which she emigrated to Canada in 1926. In Montreal, she married Henry Roberts (who came from Birkenhead) on July 1928, as Hilda Patricia Wilkinson.  They returned to the UK in 1930 and lived with Henry's mother in Birkenhead. Around 1938, they took up residence at 31 Moorfield Drive, Parkgate, Neston where they stayed until Henry died in September 1945. She buried Henry in an unmarked grave at Neston cemetery.

This is where it gets interesting! In December, Hilda took on a lodger. Two weeks later, the lodger went out drinking with a male friend who murdered her on the way home. The following year, Hilda moved out of the house and I can find no further trace of her. 

As you might gather, I've worked hard to find the information I have outlined. Her "husband" Henry was my bigamous grandfather and finding out what happened to Hilda would finally put the story to bed. I should say that I don't think that Hilda or Henry's family had any idea that he had been married previously.

Please ask if I can fill in any more detail. Meanwhile, over to the sleuths!

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: What Happened to Hilda Wilkinson?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 December 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
1939 has a Hilda P Roberts and Henry Roberts in Neston - Hilda's surname is given as Smith with Roberts in brackets  :-\  Birth date 19 November 1900
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 December 15 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Maybe  :-\
Hilda P Roberts
Spouse    Harold Smith
Jun qtr 1950
Reg district   North East Cheshire
10a / 855

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 December 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
1939 has a Hilda P Roberts and Henry Roberts in Neston - Hilda's surname is given as Smith with Roberts in brackets  :-\  Birth date 19 November 1900

Thanks Rosie, that's both interesting and confusing. Henry and Hilda were definitely married - I have the Montreal marriage details and it was definitely the right couple as all four parents tie in - so where does the name "Smith" come in? Henry was still alive in '39 - I have his death cert and I've followed this through to his burial details and I have a grave; although unmarked.

She was definitely calling herself "Roberts" in 1945 as evidenced by her statement to the police vis a vis the murder. I suppose I'd better have a look at the 1939.

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 December 15 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Maybe  :-\
Hilda P Roberts
Spouse    Harold Smith
Jun qtr 1950
Reg district   North East Cheshire
10a / 855

I assume this is a possible marriage between Hilda and a "Harold Smith". I've not come across this one before and I 'ii follow up on it.

Does the "Smith in brackets" on the '39 look as though it has been added later?

Thanks
Ray

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 December 15 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I am only looking at the transcript index.  We have to pay to look at the image.

The 1939 register will show her re-marriage after 1939 and put her previous name in brackets.  She was obviously Roberts in 1939 as Henry is also in the property.

I did wonder if that was her remarriage

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 December 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

This looks like her death.

Hilda Patricia Smith Died Sep 1986  Age at Death 85  District: Stockport
Birth Date:    19 Nov 1900 = Q4 1900

Venelow
Canada

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 December 15 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

Just for the hell of it I googled Hilda Patrica Wilkinson and got four hits the last one being photos from Ancestry trees of which one was a reference to a photo of Harry Roberts and Hilda Patricia Wilkinson and citing their marriage 26 July 1928 in Montreal. Sounds like a wedding photo.

This is a Private tree on Ancestry Au and states that Hilda was born in 1895. By searching in Ancestry I brought up the reference for Hilda which also states she was born in Canada. There is a link to contact the tree owner.

Maybe you are already aware of this tree but if not you may want to contact the tree owner as they may have a connection to you and a photo would be nice.
As far as I can see her birth date and place of birth in the private tree may just be conjecture on their part. Hilda's parents are stated on the marriage record and you have traced her forward to her arrival in Canada. There is no information about exact ages or place of birth on the marriage record. If they had married in Ontario that information would have been recorded in 1928.

Venelow
Canada

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 December 15 20:51 GMT (UK) »
I am only looking at the transcript index.  We have to pay to look at the image.

The 1939 register will show her re-marriage after 1939 and put her previous name in brackets.  She was obviously Roberts in 1939 as Henry is also in the property.

I did wonder if that was her remarriage

OK, lets take this one stage at a time.

I've downloaded the '39 register entry and Hilda's first name is crossed out an "SMITH" is written in capitals. In the first (address) column is written 8 6 50 beneath which is L(or 2 or I)CA M, which I assume is a reference to her re-marriage.

More searching to do - Thanks again Rosie