Author Topic: Best Family Tree Software  (Read 4728 times)

Offline Philldw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Best Family Tree Software
« on: Saturday 19 December 15 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone recommend a good software package for constructing my family tree? ..other than this website..Many Thanks David

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Best Family Tree Software
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 December 15 20:50 GMT (UK) »
That's a difficult question!
And rather like asking which is the best beer? or Best car? ::)

Personally, I use RootsMagic.
Others use Family Historian, FatmilyTreeMaker, Legacy, etc.etc.

Have a look at the Forum, Technical Help, Family History Programs, Tree Organisation, Presentation

Lots of similar posts on there! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 December 15 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

May also be worth looking at Brothers Keeper.  Very comprehensive reporting.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 December 15 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Steve. I've been using Brother's Keeper for many years. It does everything I want it to and is basically Free  ;D.
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 December 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the various software websites; most, if not all, have demo versions to look at and try. Or as MaecW pointed out, any of the free ones can be trialled without cost.
And it is like KGarrad mentioned, what is the best beer, or best car? Everyone has their preference. I also used RootsMagic, after giving Legacy a go, and before that Generations. I now use an online site, Tribalpages, which provides a free version, as well as paid ones which give you options for more photos and more data options.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Marylebone2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 December 15 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Like many I expect, I'm reeling slightly from the news that FTM is only going to be supported for another year. So I'll have to choose another package and migrate over to it - probably sooner rather than later, since I plan to replace my laptop in the New Year anyway and that seems a sensible time to do it. 
I do feel a bit gloomy about having to change over however and I checked here to see whether there are very obvious front-runners in s/w. But of course I can see that it's not as simple as that. It's horses for courses. (Sigh)
Anyone moved from FTM in the recent past? What did you move to? Was it fairly simple or horrendous? Did you just do it via GEDCOM and did that work OK? Family Historian and Legacy seem to get good reviews?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 December 15 16:57 GMT (UK) »
So, why are you moving away from FTM?

Just because it will no longer be supported simply means that there will be no more updates, and no help desk at the end of a telephone!
Whether the tree sync-ing will work is a debatable point?

It will continue to work for a few years yet! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Marylebone2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 December 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Well yes you're right of course.  There's no mad rush.  But if I've learnt one thing about IT over the years it's that it's usually better to move on, update and embrace change as it happens (or to be exact, to embrace it when it's 'settled down' a bit), rather than cling on because something "still works OK".  Even if you really feel you'd really rather not be bothered. Otherwise you just seem to store up trouble for yourself in the long run and the change becomes more difficult.

Plus if I start the new laptop with the new software, then I can keep the old one going with FTM on it until I feel really confident.... ;)

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 December 15 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I have moved my tree to RootsMagic 7. Following an update last night, media was imported too. RootsMagic have a free trail download,. They seem to be trying to attract people leaving FTM. I have not had enough time yet to double check facts etc, but so far very easy. RootsMagic website also have a pdf giving instructions on doing the export\import.