Author Topic: Gateshead Frank Terrace Sunderland Road  (Read 2378 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Gateshead Frank Terrace Sunderland Road
« on: Saturday 26 December 15 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Help, my great grandfather and family lived at 20 and 31 Frank Terrace in the 1880's. Although I have copies of the 1858 and 1939 Ordnance Survey maps for the area there is no mention of a Frank Terrace, just Sunderland Road with a row of houses running down the north side from Elswick Street to Ford Street. I have copies of the 1883 Gateshead directory that states Frank Terrace (the continuation of Sunderland Road to Felling), it then lists various house numbers and their location to the side streets ie here is Frank Street, here is Cooper Street. I have also managed to find some old photo's of Frank Terrace (just prior to demolition) and one has 2 street signs on the wall, Frank Terrace with Sunderland Road underneath it. Would the postman be confused or would you have both names on your envelope? Can anyone tell me where Frank Terrace started and ended and why the 2 names. I also have another Gateshead directory that under S starts off with Sunderland Road (which begins at High Street), then changes to Martin Terrace, St. Bede's Terrace, Frank Terrace and Somerset Place. It has me totally baffled. Any assistance appreciated. Oh the 1881 census doesn't even list my family at all not even at Frank Terrace, how complete is it?
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gateshead Frank Terrace Sunderland Road
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 December 15 14:36 GMT (UK) »
It was very common for rows of houses on a main  road to be called *** Terrace.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 December 15 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh the 1881 census doesn't even list my family at all not even at Frank Terrace, how complete is it?

What is the family's name?

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 December 15 15:03 GMT (UK) »
You can see Frank Street, Cooper Street etc. on this map the blocks of houses on Sunderland Road will be those called Terraces. http://maps.nls.uk/view/101027577#zoom=5&lat=5028&lon=6029&layers=BT

There is also this map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/426521/562478/12/100615 but you will have to zoom out.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 December 15 16:58 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1891 Census No.1 Frank Terrace was at St James's Road and went all the way to No. 71 at John Street, on the north side of Sunderland Road. There are only odd numbers on the north side.
RG12 Piece 4183 Folio 91 Page 34 to RG12 Piece 4183 Folio 69 Page 46

Stan

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 December 15 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stan,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply and information, I appreciate it. You have confirmed my thoughts but it is nice to get the opinion of an expert.

Regarding the 1881 census, as mentioned I am unable to find my family, the information I have is that my Grandfather was born on 27/09/1880 and his birth certificate has the address as 31 Frank Terrace Gateshead and occupation of his father as Coal Merchant. The 1883 Directory of Gateshead (Trades section) has his father Henry Edward Thompson, coal merchant residing at 20 Frank Terrace. You would assume (but you should never assume!!!) that they were at one of those addresses in 1881. I have gone through the whole of Frank Terrace number by number in the 1881 census of which just only half of the numbers, from 1-71 are listed on the census and no result.
My family details are:
Surname - Thompson
Henry Edward b. 18/08/1847
Jane nee Dobson b. 11/05/1849
Children:
Jane Ellen b. 1870
Maria b. 1874
Thomas Murray b. 1876
Henrietta b. 1878 
Ella b. 1879
William Dobson b.1880

Any information you can find I will be so grateful.

Paul Thompson
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline Michelle Hickey

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this feed while researching where exactly my Nanna grew up. I had searched for Frank Street Gateshead and Stan's response was very helpful.