Author Topic: Request for help deciphering Place of Marriage - begins with D, ends in E?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Attached (hopefully) is a cropped and resized portion of a Death Certificate in Victoria, Australia in 1872.  I am attempting to assist a friend with one of their brick walls (a certain James Smith Shaw) and am hoping that some rootschatters could give me their thoughts on the spelling/word/place of the alleged Place of Marriage shown on this man's DC.

I would be very keen on rootschatterer's "fresh eyes" and what those fresh eyes "see" ......

Any assistance or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Request for help deciphering Place of Marriage - begins with D, ends in E?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 December 15 01:14 GMT (UK) »
I read it as Dongerrin, but maybe intended to be Dunkerrin?

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 December 15 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox for your fresh eyes.
I had not "seen" either of those two possibilities.
Am off to check Northern Ireland maps for any of these two likely placename/townland/parish suspects..
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 December 15 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm
Am not having much "joy" phonetically sounding out Dongerrin or Dunkerrin agains Northern Ireland Townlands or parishes.  But I will persist.
All the fresh eyes help!
cocksie

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 December 15 07:56 GMT (UK) »
That's a definite G in the image- only town that would fit is Dungannon but there a village called Dunkerrin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkerrin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungannon
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 December 15 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Is this your James Smith SHAW?

The Argus 30 Nov 1872
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5843446?
death notice for James Smith SHAW.......Cookstown, Co Tyrone.

Who is the informant...... who knows a lot about this man's origins and family....but cannot name his wife?

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 December 15 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Dobfarm - I like Dungannon. Seems to be in the vicinity that info collated seems to point to - co. Tyrone somewhere near Cookstown. Have commenced looking into this possibility.

Wivenhoe.  Yep you have found the death notice of James Smith Shaw which states that his father was (allegedly) Dr John Shaw of Cookstown.
The informant for the DC was James Smith Shaw's son-in-law, Mr Robert Holden. Some info is correct (ie names of children) but other items are weirdly wrong (such as ages of the children).

All children (and dad) immigrated (in dribs and drabs) to Victoria, Australia.  I have tracked them all once they hit Oz.  All children's DCs state their mother was a Mary Hunter and father was James Smith Shaw.

I have tracked the family back from Oz to when they were living at Donegall Pass area (Charlotte street or place to be precise) in Belfast around 1850 +/-.
Mother/wife Mary (nee Hunter) died in Belfast (have found her death notice) and a few years later (1862) James Smith Shaw and one of his daughters followed some of his other kids over to OZ. The DC informant, Robert Holden, married one of James & Mary's daughters AFTER mother Mary died - which could be why he did not know her name? Tis odd that he didn't just ask his wife though.

It seems the Shaw's could have been in Belfast from about 1826 as all the children consistently state they are born in Belfast and there are 2 church records from St Anne's Shankill (COI) that support this.

So I can track this family back to Belfast but cannot find the following:
1. Many of the children's baptisms between 1826-1838

2. No sign of any marriage of James Smith Shaw and Mary Hunter.  COI marriage, most probably in Northern Ireland but where? Dungannon? Dongerrie? Dougerrie? Am looking through town lands, parishes, place names phonetically trying to imagine what the registrar heard when listening to Northern Irish accent of informant Robert Holden (Belfast boy).

3. No sign of any John Shaw in Cookstown, Co Tyrone that "fits". No Shaw's baptised in Derryloran COI records (Cookstown) to a father John in the time frame and certainly no James Shaw's.

Am grasping at any straws and thought fresh eyes on the marriage place clue would be a good idea.  I didn't "see" Dungannon when I looked at it so dobfarm and bookbox's comments and suggestions are worth me looking into.

Apologies for long winded post, could be my frustrations are getting the best of me.
Cocksie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 December 15 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Place of birth is given as Cookstown, Co. Antrim (Cookstown is in Co. Tyrone) so informant is probably not entirely reliable.

I see the place of marriage as Dungiven (which is in Co. Londonderry).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 December 15 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Place of birth is given as Cookstown, Co. Antrim (Cookstown is in Co. Tyrone) so informant is probably not entirely reliable.

I see the place of marriage as Dungiven (which is in Co. Londonderry).

Dungiven north of Cookstown seems most likely.

Dungiv-- is plain to read on the image word
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth