Author Topic: Marriage in Notts?  (Read 855 times)

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage in Notts?
« on: Sunday 27 December 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello all and I hope you all had an excellent Christmas.

I have been dotting the "i"s and crossing the "t"s on my Brentnalls and have come across this in our records.

John James, son of John & Hannah James b July 3 , 1783.

Further on in our records are some more children of John & Hannah. James is not a family name and so I believe Hannah to be the family member. The only record of an earlier Hannah we have is Hannah Brentnall b 7th October, 1764. I think it highly likely that John James was her husband. However, I've looked for a marriage on Ancestry and Familysearch but failed to find one. It is most likely to be in Nottinghamshire but could be elsewhere in the East Midlands. Is anyone able to help?

Thankyou
Brie

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Notts?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 December 15 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've read this message several times,  but not sure what it is you are looking for.  Is it a marriage of a John James to a Hannah ?  or a Hannah Brentnall to a John James?

:D
Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 December 15 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sunflower,

Thankyou for your reply. I suppose in the first instance I'm looking for John James's marriage to a Hannah.

I am hoping it is to Hannah Brentnall as the birth of John James, junior, that I quoted above is from our Brentnall records and I cannot see why else he and his siblings should be there.

Hope that helps
Brie

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 December 15 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brie

I have checked the Notts FHS CD and can't see anything for either of those marriages.

:'(

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 December 15 13:54 GMT (UK) »
"John James, son of John & Hannah James b July 3 , 1783."

I have checked NFHS baptisms for this one and nothing coming up. Nothing on Ancestry, Freereg or Family Search baptisms either.

No baptism for a Hannah Brentnall on NFHS either for 1764.
 The only one I find is 15-7-1770 Hannah dau of William & Martha Brentnall at Trowell. There is also the baptism of an Ann dau of the same couple 24-1-1763.With her burial also at Trowell 18-6-1764 Ann Brentnall dau of William.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 December 15 14:14 GMT (UK) »
"Thankyou for your reply. I suppose in the first instance I'm looking for John James's marriage to a Hannah."

Nottingham St Mary
28-10-1781 John James and Ann Collinshaw.

This is the only marriage for a John James that comes anywhere close to the details you want. I posted it wondering if you have a connection to the Collinshaw family?
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Sunflower & Larkspur (sounds like a garden plan  :)) thankyou for your replies. It seems pretty clear from your replies that my Hannah Brentnall doesn't appear in the Notts records.

My Hannah b 1764 was the youngest child of John Brentnall and Hannah Clarke (of Sandiacre) who were married at St Mary's, Nottingham 26th January 1748. Maybe I should be looking in Derbyshire. I will try that next.

I am not aware of any Collinshaw connection but will keep it in mind.

I'm still inclined to Hannah being a Brentnall (or a Brentnall connection) as otherwise it makes no sense for the James family to be incorporated in their records. And I do have a suitable Hannah whose death isn't mentioned in the records nor her marriage to anyone else.

Thanks again for all your help and a Happy New Year
Brie

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 14:36 GMT (UK) »
6 Nov 1764
Hannah dau of John Brantnal and Hannah his wife was baptised by S Eaton
Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
Denomination:   Presbyterian
Piece Title:   Piece 1588: Nottingham, High Pavement Chapel (Presbyterian), 1723-1777

and others with the same parents same Church
John 12 Feb 1751
It is also in the Ilkeston -old Meeting House book with Nottingham in brackets
Katharine 20 Jan 1755
George 24 Aug 1757
Mary 27 Jul 1762

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 January 16 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Larkspur,

Yes, that is Hannah and the others are her siblings. We have a family record of their births but I didn't have their baptisms. It is good to have independent confirmation. On the family record we also have Samuel b. 1749 and Ann b. 1760 who died young.

Brie