Author Topic: Blunt and Cartwright Family  (Read 1189 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blunt and Cartwright Family
« on: Friday 11 December 15 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone for all the marvelous help. Alan's find of Bethia nee Porter Browne & his thought that she was perhaps related to our Anne Blunt, proved to be true!
The parents were married 1758 St Mary, Stoke Newington, their deaths & wills found by Allen
 William Porter (before 1736 - 1783 St Luke, Islington) Dissenting Minister
  Sarah Lowther ( (1736–1805 Chesam) -  deaths & wills found by Allen
      children were:
  Bethia Porter (1765–1841 Shrops) who married James Bardwell Browne.
       Had family in Kent. ( child Sarah married a son from Robert's 1st marriage.)
  Sarah Porter (c.1765 –  ) married the Reverend John Mayor ...Shawbury, Shropshire.
       Fair bit of information available online, and Allen has followed some through as well.
  Rev.Thomas Porter c. 1766 -1821 whose family Allen has followed well into the U.S.
  Ann porter (1771–1847 Shrops) who married our common ancestor Rob't  Blunt...
  Samuel Porter ( - ) married Sarah Ball as mentioned earlier. Having children in Chesham.
       Allen has found him apprenticing in London prior to returning to Chesam where he marries         
     & has children... occupation mealman / chapman ...remaining there having legal matters until 1813, then we've lost track of them..
  Elizabeth Porter ( - )single at death of  mother 1805, but we have not found more

so...The first new mystery...What we have not found is one single christening for the six, not in London nor Chesham.....? His occupational timeline/ known whereabouts/ written next.

Next new mystery is...  We have now tracked down a whole lot of mini bios and many many publications and mentions on their father, Reverend William Porter. Several of these publications have his mini Ministerial Bio and give his birthplace as near Royston Kent...in the neighbourhood of Royston Kent, Kent near royston. All interpreted from the same diary notation, I believe.
( other online trees use a Royston, Kent but we have found all to be in Herts)
Rev Wm Porter was in Miles Lane for a decade 1756 to 66...also during which time he alternated to the Hoxton Meeting house ...He then moved to Camomile Street Independent  until 1773 when he was supposed to have moved to Chesam, Bucks.

Did find a family in Reed, Royston Herts, with a William Porter but really, nothing applies other than the one forename...unfortunately, no will exists from the father to confirm it isn't he.

Not that it helps anything...but I am now wondering if they might have meant near Royton, Lenham, Kent, although i have only seen this area referenced online, so it might be another bogus red herring?
Modifying to add that it did exist as such, referenced in a 1798 gazeteer as "Royton, Kent, near Lenham"
https://books.google.ca/books?id=WVQ9AAAAYAAJ&pg=PT580&lpg=PT580&dq="Royton,+Kent"

*modified to add some dates, etc.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt and Cartwright Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 15 01:35 GMT (UK) »
also adding that we had previously noted the children of reverend Moses Porter of London were also getting married at Chesham around the same time as Sarah, Samuel & Ann Porter . There are so few Porters in Chesam at the time one can't help but think they are important in our search, & might be related to rev. William Porter

Moses' parents were Richard & Rachel ( Hill?)
I see London Baptisms
Richard Porter   b. 29 November 1728     christening: 10 Dec  1728  ST STEPHEN London Eng.   
Ann Porter  christening:1 October 1733 ST ANDREW UNDERSHAFT, London    
Moses Porter  christening: 21 July 1735 ST ANDREW UNDERSHAFT   "   "   

a Richard Porter  & spouse: Rachael Hill
married Feb 24 1727 Saint Stephen Walbrook And Saint Benet Sherehog, London England   

There is an online tree for this family with a few dates - perhaps from the Lockman, Porter, Street family memoirs
It says Richard was a naval surgeon  They also add more children:
John 1730-1756 (information from a Ship's journal with Richard porter)   Gilbert (says baptised 1741 but I do not see it ( have no sub) ...Titchfield, Hampshire has an 1841 christening 1841 burial )
 Elizabeth see notation below, & Peter (thought to be eldest son- killed in action on board HMS Norfolk in 1762 this would be the Battle of Manila -will mentions Ann, Moses, & Elizabeth Dickson, as does father Richard's will at approximate age 86)

snippet from site...  Richard Porter was a naval surgeon ( d. Alverstoke St Mary Feb 10 1778) ........  Some time between the baptisms of his son Moses  he has moved to Hampshire. The next child, (site says this... but plenty of room in a decade to have more children) Elizabeth, is baptised at Gosport Holy Trinity on 29 December 1745. ( marries there as well)
I see this site proving Richard was indeed there, highly overpaid, but the hospital in a sorry state.
http://www.jameslindlibrary.org/articles/the-royal-hospital-haslar-from-lind-to-the-21st-century/

Well now that I have noted all this down...Might William & Peter have been from a previous marriage, as we have seen in so many generations now.
* modifying to add: No...Sadly have just found this, Richard Porter a Bachelor & Rachel Hill a spinster
https://archive.org/stream/registersofstste49stst#page/154/mode/2up
Have now seen this on the site's notes for them: Both were previously unmarried. Richard was said to be 30 and his bride-to-be 19. 

See this site has Porter, so assuming this is Peter, says he was a Captain not Lt.  http://www.britishbattles.com/seven-years/manila-1762.htm

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blunt and Cartwright Family
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 15 04:48 GMT (UK) »
I see that Moses had a son named William, who also became a reverend.... I grasp at straws here...haha...hoping he was named after an uncle.

I can't rely on this memory of mine... have erased the irrelevent junk I just posted here.

Rev Moses, etc.
http://www.geni.com/people/Rev-Moses-Porter/6000000003579335314

I now see that this is where some of the site info was gleaned http://geneagraphie.com/Henry%20Cort/gramhpor.htm
Titchfield was a connection to Henry Cort....and not far from Gosport...
Richard Porter served on nine ships between 1726 and 1740...How do you track that schedule?

Several generations of that Porter family, appears to incl Richard - Merchant Taylor's school...
https://books.google.ca/books?id=bSHOAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA431