Author Topic: Heritage of Collon  (Read 8562 times)

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Heritage of Collon
« on: Friday 23 July 04 08:16 BST (UK) »
Looking for a copy of Larry Conlon's THE HERITAGE OF COLLON 1764-1984. Does anyone know if it is still in print and where I might get a copy. I am looking for our Wilson and Wynne families who lived in this area from the middle 1750's to the 1850's.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Heritage of Collon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 May 05 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I checked Griffiths Valuation of Ireland - Collon, Co. Louth 1854
John Wilson lived at Ardee Street, Collon
John Wynne lived at Drogheda Street, Collon

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 June 05 08:16 BST (UK) »
Christopher,  thank you for this information.  Marilyn

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 September 06 00:23 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone in the group that lives in County Louth and could check the book, The History of Collon by Larry Conlon. for the surname Wilson and Wynne. I am trying to locate where in the barony of Ardee our Wilson and Wynne's lived and was hoping this book may give us some answers. Thanks for any assistance.  Marilyn

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 September 06 02:44 BST (UK) »
Hiya Marilyn,

The Dundalk Library might check the book for you. I see they are a member of the Irish Family History Foundation though so I'm not certain if they would do it at no charge .. they might make a small fee.

I looked at the www.Ni-libraries.net catalogue. They appear to have one copy but I'm not certain where it is ... it cannot be reserved. It could be in the Central Library so I may be able to check it for you.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 September 06 05:43 BST (UK) »
Christopher,  Thank you for the information.  I will contact the Louth County Library in Dundalk and hire them to do a preliminary search.

A question:  Why are there so many holes in the keeping of death records?  For example, Ardee only shows deaths from 1810 - 1821 in Roman Catholic Parishes.  What happened to the records before 1810 and after 1821?

Thanks again,  Marilyn                           

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 September 06 06:11 BST (UK) »
I'm not 100% sure of the answer to your question about the gaps in the Irish death records, Marilyn. The keeping of births, deaths and marriages was not compulsory in Ireland until 1864. There are a few missing records. Possibly all of those that do exist have not yet been put online. Maybe the parish priest in some areas where there are gaps did not feel like keeping records. I know there are several ongoing genealogical projects in Ireland at the moment. 

I've made a note to see if the Central Library in Belfast have the copy of Larry Conlon's book. I have to go to the first session of a Course on Family History on Monday so I'll be in the Library sometime during the day.

Offline caswellm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 September 06 06:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you.......Marilyn

Offline jbhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 September 06 11:57 BST (UK) »
The book (87 pages softback) is available at abebooks.com, but at $40 plus postage is a bit on the expensive side (in my opinion). I have the book and it is a very good history of the parish of Collon, but there are very few name lists in it, and these are for the Church Wardens of which there are Wilsons and Wynnes mentioned (namely John Wynne who was a CW from 1843 to 1848; AH Wynne was a CW in 1879 & 1881 & 1885, 1892 & 1902; Alfred Wynne JP was a CW in 1869 and from 1870 to 1871; GRL Wynne was a CW in 1898; John Wilson was a CW in 1784; Sargeant Alexander Wilson was a CW in 1837; Alexander Wilson was a CW from 1857 to 1859).

Brendan
Louth: Hall, Kindlon, Hughes, McAuley, Cumiskey
Cavan: Langan, Reilly
Dublin: McAuley, Murphy
England & Wales: Parkhouse, Callow, Callowhill, Vinall, Huzzey, Mortimer