Author Topic: FamilyTreemaker  (Read 744 times)

Online lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FamilyTreemaker
« on: Wednesday 06 January 16 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I used FamilyTreemaker long before I put my tree on Ancestry (from mid 90s or even earlier maybe) and now I wonder what I can use in its place to sync with Ancestry or whatever the options are going to be to download trees.

I still have a 2012 version on a PC that I can use to sync my current tree but I don't use the PC any more as I switched to Mac a couple of years ago. I was unable to download an electronic version for Mac from Ancestry (presumably because I did not have a US address and Ancestry Australia only sold the CD-Rom version which is not much use if you don't have a CD drive) so have not sync-ed to the Mac or at all for quite a while.

What I want to be able to do is something I used to be able to do from older versions of FTM and that was create a limited descendant tree using just a few generations which I could then export as an image to a word document. So what I would like is software that is very good at creating charts and preferably that I can sync with Ancestry then generate custom made mini trees to illustrate my text documents.

What I do not want to have to do is start a new tree from scratch to create a new database. I have several thousand in each of my maternal and paternal trees.

I would be interested to hear any suggestions.

Thank you

Linda.

Online lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: FamilyTreemaker
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 05:33 GMT (UK) »
I have since been reading the Ancestry Blog and see  from peoples responses that perhaps I could still make the charts I want in FTM 2012 (which is a feature most people seem to want) . Also according to their blog update Ancestry  are "exploring" adding some of the report features into Ancestry

When I looked some time ago at my FTM2012 I saw how you can create and print the charts but not how you can export them as an image/screenshot. Have I missed something?

I also noticed that before it closed sales, I might have been able to purchase a downloadable version for the Mac from Ancestry. Too late now though. I probably previoulsy  tried to purchase the downloadable version before it became available in Australia. When I enquired at Ancestry AU they did not have a downloadable version.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Why not purchase an external CD/DVD drive?
Currently advertised in the UK from 20 UKpounds.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Online lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 16 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Brian for replying.

I did think about purchasing an external CD drive when I first bought the Mc but decided to see how much I could download direct before I bothered. I expected more and more  software would become available as downloads.

It was months later that  I tried to get the downloadable FTM and as I wasn't actively using the FTM, I just let it slide. I didn't know Ancestry were about to stop selling FTM. Which they have now done.

I have only recently started updating my Word files again and that is why I now miss being able to insert updated mini charts.

I did find the share button on FTM 2012 but could not see how to get even a 3 generation descendant chart onto one page. I tried my maternal grandfather's family and he was the 5th child of 9 but even he didn't make it onto the first  page. I don't seem to have as many options to customise the chart that I used to have in the 2005 version.

Cheers