Author Topic: Frisken photo set, Berwickshire & Orkney [5]  (Read 1951 times)

Offline efrisken

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frisken photo set, Berwickshire & Orkney [5]
« on: Friday 08 January 16 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear experts,

The next 4 photos that I have are all from Duns (Dunse) in Berwickshire.

This first one is marked as "Photographed by Thos Scoular New Town Dunse", presumably a Thomas Scoular, although I can find no information on such a person in the area who may have been a photographer.

As before, any information at all - no matter how trivial it may seem - would be very helpful.  An estimate of the date of the photo, and perhaps guesses at the ages of the family (?) in this picture would be very much appreciated.  Do their clothes help to date the picture and say anything about them?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frisken photo set, Berwickshire & Orkney [5]
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 January 16 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I would guess at mid/late 1860s for this one...couple could be in their 30s, children look evenly spaced in age...maybe around 10, 8, 6 & 4.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 January 16 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Carol's age estimates, (I would say definitely a family, husband wife and three kids) and the only other comment I have is that the man will have been wearing a hat - possibly a top hat - ahead of coming indoors for the photo.  Great flick-ups  :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline efrisken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 16 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for all the helpful feedback you gave me on this one.  I still haven't found any likely candidates from my tree, so I'm missing a family - or I am missing at least one child from a family that I do have.  Both of which are useful outcomes!
I'll keep searching - thanks again  ;D

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 January 16 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Were there any children that died young...have you looked for deaths?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline efrisken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 16 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I found a candidate family!  I had to go back and review all the families on the side of Isabella Barclay, from photo [1].

So here's how I did it...

I had already identified and placed two named and dated photos (oh, so helpful!) of two HOGG children, George Hogg and Thomas Barclay Hogg born in 1888 and 1893 respectively. 
The only critique of myself that I can offer is that I hadn't placed the photos in my own family tree, but another large tree on Ancestry that I use as a reference for the Berwickshire area.  So each time I scanned my own tree for a good fit family to suit the above photo, I didn't find one...
So I fixed that glitch for myself now  ;D

I've included the photos of the Hogg children here.

The parents of these two boys were William Hogg and Elizabeth Mary Barclay.  The father of Elizabeth Mary Barclay was Thomas Barclay b.1813; he was the younger brother of Isabella Barclay from photo [1].  Thomas was married to Isabella Patterson b.1824.
Elizabeth Mary Barclay was born in 1862.  She had three older brothers - Thomas Barclay b.1856, George Patterson Barclay b.1858 and Joseph Edgley Barclay b.1860.

So how does that fit?  If the photo is for example dated at 1866 then the family would be
Man 53
Woman 42
Boy 10
Boy 8
Boy 6
Girl 4

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 16 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I would say that's a good fit......Looks like my guess was right then  ;D
Carol

Offline efrisken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I would say that's a good fit......Looks like my guess was right then  ;D
Carol

Yes!  Thank you for your help.  I found it very interesting that the three boys and a girl was actually quite a unique 'signature' to search the tree for a family that could fit.  I was almost expecting to have quite a few choices, but so far this is the only family that fits.  And the fact the the pair of young Hogg photos (dated and verified) were also in the possession of the Frisken family would seem to confirm this as the most likely family.

I can just imagine the letters that may have been sent  "Dear Isabella Barclay, here's a photos of my family, love Isabella Barclay" :D