Author Topic: Christopher Welch (aka Welsh), c1811, Ireland and Liverpool  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Jaychris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christopher Welch (aka Welsh), c1811, Ireland and Liverpool
« on: Sunday 10 January 16 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for details of Christopher Welch (c1811, Ireland) who moved to Liverpool where he married Mary Ann Clement(s) aka Clementson/Clemitson.

Although Christopher and Mary Ann were married in the Anglican Church (C of E) in Liverpool, their children were all baptized as Roman Catholics.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Welch (aka Welsh), c1811, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 16 14:31 GMT (UK) »
You've posted in How to Use RootsChat (it does say Please don't post requests here) instead of IRELAND board so a moderator will be moving this to the correct place.

What sort of details are you looking for? when did the Liverpool marriage take place? have you followed Christoper in all possible census records to see if a more exact place than Ireland is given?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaycris

I can move your post to either Ireland or Lancashire if you can let me know which ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaychris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 11:36 GMT (UK) »

Thank you for letting me know I had posted wrongly.  I am happy for my query regarding Christopher Welch to be posted to Liverpool or Lancashire boards - but not Manchester.

Christopher Welsh and Mary Anne Clement were married in October 1930 at St Peter's, Liverpool.  They are shown together in Liverpool in 1841.

I have no reason to believe he ever lived in Manchester - although I know there were three Christopher Welches around at the same time and one was in Manchester.

Nowhere can I find a district/town in Ireland mentioned for his birthplace and I have even looked for connections through two other Welch family members who were godparents to Christopher's children.

So - Liverpool or Lancashire it is, thanks.

Jaychris

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Welch (aka Welsh), c1811, Ireland and Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

When you look at the 1830 marriage it seems possible that Christopher's surname could be Walsh.

If this is so, it is possible Mary Ann died 18 Jan 1836 age 24 and Christopher re-married on 21 Feb 1841 to Margaret McDermot.

If these facts prove correct Christopher was born in Drogheda, Ireland and his father was Thomas Walsh (shown on the 1841 marriage).

Back later but in the meantime, perhaps a thought for you to consider?

Alan

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have transcribed the 1830 marriage as Welsh, Lancs OPC have it as Walsh. I think it looks like Walsh. Back in 1830 if you were RC you got married in the C of E church because RC church marriages were just ceremonies with no legal status. Even after RC churches were allowed to have a registrar present at marriages many Catholics continued to marry in C of E churches because it was convenient for them.

I agree that it looks like Mary Ann was buried at St Mary's CE Cemetery on 18 Jan 1836, aged 24 years, of Eldon Street and Christopher married Margaret McDermot(t) formerly Loghlin (perhaps McLoughlin?) on 21 Feb 1841 at St Mary's RC in Edmond Street Liverpool (not yet moved to Highfield Street). They are on the 1841 Census at Brokers Alley in Stanley Street Liverpool.

The 1871 Census shows that Christopher was born in Drogheda:-

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBFZ-P4R

Blue   

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 January 16 09:11 GMT (UK) »
are any of the witnesses family in any way ?   married by banns

Marriage: 18 Oct 1830 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Christopher Walsh - (X), Iron Founder, This Parish
Mary Anne Clement - (X), Spinster, This Parish
    Witness: Elizabeth Qualtrough, (X); John Grey
    Married by Banns by: William Goddard Off. Curate

http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolrcmarriages/marriages.php
has the 1841 marriage to Margaret McDermot ( one t on that record )  if you click on Request Form - you can get a copy of that marriage fror £3 ....
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 16 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Original images of both these marriages are on Ancestry so I don't think the Liverpool History Projects transcript is needed. The 1830 marriage under Welsh, 1841 marriage under Walsh.

Blue

Offline Jaychris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 January 16 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the 1830 marriage does give Christopher's surname as Welsh.

Mary Ann (nee Clement) was not dead when some of you have quoted so I think some of you have found the other Christopher (Walsh/Welsh).  There was another one around in Liverpool at the same time but I think he moved from there. 

Mary Ann is very much alive and kicking in 1841 and 1851 where the family lived at Hurst Street, Liverpool. 

By 1861 and 1871 the name Elizabeth is quoted as Head of Family.  There seems to be an anomaly and I wondered whether the census-taker had written down wrong information because Elizabeth's age is more like her mother's, Mary Ann's and nothing like the daughter Elizabeth's age.  I thought that, perhaps, the census-taker had not written Mary Ann's name down and had managed to give Elizabeth's name as head of family in error.  Perhaps Elizabeth was there or not - I can not be sure whether she has died or married.