Author Topic: De Havilland Vampire crash at Elsworth, Camridgeshire 15.10.1959  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Melvin Brownless

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
De Havilland Vampire crash at Elsworth, Camridgeshire 15.10.1959
« on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
No.5 FTS: On 15 October 1959, tragedy struck when two Vampire T.11s of the 'Hot Box' team collided during a display for a passing-out parade at Oakington. One of the Vampires (WZ495) crashed at Elsworth, Cambs, killing Flt Sgt H W Gibson AFM, while the other aircraft (XE897) flown by Flt Sgt R G Gregory was able to return to base and subsequently struck off charge.

I am searching for further information regarding this tragic crash on behalf of the daughter of the late F/Sgt (Gyp) Gibson. Wondering if anyone in the area can remember the incident and of course the exact location of the crash.

Would really appreciate any help regarding this tragic loss.

Kind regards,

Melvin

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: De Havilland Vampire crash at Elsworth, Camridgeshire 15.10.1959
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 16 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Melvin,

A very warm welcome to RootsChat.

I have found a couple of things online, I don't know whether you have already seen these or not, but links to them are below:

Aircrew Remembered website: http://aircrewremembered.com/gibson-henry-walter.html

Aviation Safety website: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=153747

Aviation Safety website: http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=153744

The two aviation website links go to the same page, but the second of the links has an extra source link added.

Apologies if you have already seen these.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Melvin Brownless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks David,

I have this info already but hope to find some locals who remember the incident, I am sure there must be some still living!

All the best,

Melvin

Offline gavin scott

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
MELVIN, I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH SUSAN AND JAYNE AT LONGSTANTON , MY DECEASED FATHER  M/PLT D. J. SCOTT AFC WAS A FELLOW PILOT OF AFFECTIONATELY KNOWN  AS GIBBY. DAD WAS A PALL BEARER AT THE MILITARY FUNERAL AT LEAMINGTON SPA I BELIEVE. MY MOTHER NOW 94, HAS
THE SAME NAME AUDREY AS MRS GIBSON. F/SGT GIBSON IN HIS BLUE AND WHITE CAR BROUGHT ME OUT OF ELY HOSPITAL(BURST APPENDIX), WITH MY DAD.I CAN PICTURE HIM NOW IN HIS UNIFORM AND MEDAL RIBBONS, I SEE FROM REPORTS THAT HE HAD THE AFM. I ALWAYS KNEW THE ACCIDENT WAS IN THE FORMATION HOT BOX,UNTIL A FEW YEARS BACK I THOUGHT THE ACCIDENT WAS PRACTISING AT RLG GRAVELY.I RECALL DAD SAYING THAT THE WORD WENT AROUND THAT AFTER THE COLLISION,AS THE A/C WENT DOWN THE OTHER PILOTS RADIOED GET OUT GIBBY GET OUT(MEANING EJECT), SADLY THE A/C STRUCK THE GROUND BEFORE HE COULD OR WAS ABLE TO. I UNDERSTOOD THAT THE OTHER CREW MEMBERS WERE BIFF HOLLAND,MARY-ANNES DAD MR GREGORY WHO I ALWAYS THOUGHT WAS A M/PLT, AND A SQDN/LDR. AMAZING OUT OF ALL OF THE QFI'S ON THE STATION 3 OF THE FORMATION TEAM WERE SNCO PILOTS. I ALWAYS WONDERED SINCE ABOUT GIBBY AND HIS WAR TIME FLYING CAREER, ALSO JUST THE OTHER DAY I MET SOMEONE FROM LEAMINGTON SPA AND ENQUIRED ABOUT CEMETRIES THERE. NOW YOU SEE I AM ON LINE AND SEARCHING ABOUT THE VAMPIRE CRASH. I COULD WRITE MUCH MORE, AND HOPE TO ADD OTHER POINTS. I REMEMBER THE SON  BEING BORN THERE AND THE DOG CALLED SUNNA, SOONER HOW EVER YOU SPELL IT, FONDEST REGARDS, GAVIN

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 September 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Gavin,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Melvin has been notified of your reply by email notification.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk