Author Topic: Hawarden/Mold Records Offices  (Read 982 times)

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hawarden/Mold Records Offices
« on: Sunday 17 January 16 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I have just started tracing my family and have generally found lots of information online. I have 4 books on geneology but none of them has an answer to my question.

I know that to research in the local offices, you have to ring and book a time and that's where my knowledge ends. What I would like to know is what information I will need to take and what I can expect to find. For example, I want to obtain a birth certificate for my grandfather, John Williams who lived in Buckley. I have managed to buy his Marriage Certificate because I had all the information I needed to send for it. I have his date of birth, 14th April 1883 (from his headstone). I know his father's name, Thomas and I think (but have no proof) that his mother's maiden name was Phillips. When I put this information into the North Wales BMD, there are at least 2 matches. If I visited Mold registry office with reference numbers, what information would I be able to access and do I need to take any other information?  I seem to be in this position with a lot of my relatives because I am trying to find Williams, Griffiths and Davies.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hawarden/Mold Records Offices
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 16 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Ring the Registrar at Mold up, explain the problem, make an appointment. I would advise you to type out all the information you have and be prepared to leave it with them. I have always found them very helpful. Flintshire Record Office at Hawarden has baptisms for both Bistre and Buckley Churches for 1883. Not sure about non-conformist chapels.
Ray

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes following on from what you may have found on North Wales BMD and what Ray has said,if you do contact the Flintshire Registry Office and not Flintshire Records Office,it may well be that their numbering of the two records you speak of,may well have some local significance in determining which of the two John Williams' were born in Buckley.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 16 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your advice. So you can't actually see records for yourself?  :(

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
What an AMAZING service! I rang Mold Registry Office. I spoke to a really helpful, pleasant woman who took all the details and said she would ring me back. She rang back within an hour having found MY John Williams. I will pick the certificate up later today. How fantastic is that!