Author Topic: My Grandfather N G GREEN, - 1918 VIC  (Read 7760 times)

Offline sjgreen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for NG Green
    • View Profile
My Grandfather N G GREEN, - 1918 VIC
« on: Monday 18 January 16 01:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to locate my grandfather N G GREEN.

I have my father's birth certificate which states his father's name as: N J GREEN. However, I have since found his WW2 record and his name on that is N G GREEN. I am unsure if he has two middle names.

His birthdate is: 08 February 1918. On my father's birth certificate it says his father was born in Abbotsford, VIC. On the war record it says Melbourne, VIC.

He married my grandmother Dawn TRINGROVE on 29th September 1945 in East St Kilda. I have requested a copy of the marriage certificate from BDM in VIC.

His WW2 service number is: TX500040. We also have his war chest which has the number 6-112 on it and corporal NG Green army band on it too. My father remembers going to watch him play in the army band but can't remember which instrument. There are two files on him in the National Archives, the code numbers are: P804 and B883. I have requested a copy of B883, it won't let me purchase a copy of P804.

I believe they were living in Melbourne, VIC around 1945 - 1946. Then they moved to Tasmania with my grandmothers parents and lived at 39 Patrick Street, Hobart in the family home.

I have also located when N filed for divorce in 1950. This was filed in Kingswood, NSW on 17/05/1950. I have requested a copy of this record.

My father has been told by his uncle and my grandmother (who has since passed away) that N remarried and had five children. We haven't had any contact with him or his family.

I would love to know what happened to him? What was/is he like? Is he still alive? And if so, can I meet him? If not, can I meet one of his children?

I have never had the opportunity to meet him so just wondering about what his life was like and why he never came back to see my father after he left.

I have attached a photo of him and my grandmother.

I would appreciate any help/suggestions on what to do next to try and find him and his family.
Green, Kingston, Kelly, Davie, Tringrove, Swifte, Pike, Shipley, Bower, Woolley, McGaugran, Bell, Semple, Walker, Slide, Whitton, Harwood, Newall

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
POSSIBLE living person quest
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 16 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to Rootschat, a great place for help with family history.

Yes, your person of interest, born 1918, may well be still alive.   In naming and identifying him here at RChat you may be infringing his expectation to privacy.

You should expect a volunteer moderator to consider making adjustments to your post as it is a No No to name living people at RChat. 

May I suggest you have a read of the "How To" thread at the following live link, especially the section about WWII veterans, and also about Living Persons.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
living person request
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 02:10 GMT (UK) »
May I mention that your chap's WWII service record has not been digitised by the National Archives of Australia, which suggests to me that either no one has sought to have it digitised, or if they have sought that, then they have not been able to confirm that he is no longer living.

His service no. commences with TX which supports the index giving him as enlisting in Tasmania.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
living person request
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 16 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Ryerson Index has a funeral notice indexed for a chap by that name, at age 76, but that notice is from 1984, so the age is wrong. 

http://www.ryersonindex.org/

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
living person request
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 16 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Re the records that you mention :

His WW2 service number is: TX500040. We also have his war chest which has the number 6-112 on it and corporal NG Green army band on it too. My father remembers going to watch him play in the army band but can't remember which instrument. There are two files on him in the National Archives, the code numbers are: P804 and B883. I have requested a copy of B883, it won't let me purchase a copy of P804.

Were you asked to tick the options when you ordered B883?

You have requested a copy of a World War II service record that has not been cleared for public access (that is it has an access status of Not yet examined).

Is the veteran still living? Please select:

Unknown
Living
Deceased

Re P804

The NAA website says : This item is not currently available for public access. We are unable to provide a photocopy or make a digital copy available on RecordSearch until we have examined it for possible sensitivities.

If you would like a copy of this record, you first need to submit an application for access to have the record examined.

So you could submit an application for access  :) but it is likely that they will ask you for the status of the person of interest (Unknown, Living, Deceased)

Cheers,  JM

Offline sjgreen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for NG Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 16 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi majm,

I selected "Unknown" when I requested the war record: B883.

I don't know if he's still alive or not. He would be 98 in February if he's alive, so I think its fairly unlikely. I wasn't meaning to breach his privacy and the rules. Is there a way to find out if he is still alive?
Green, Kingston, Kelly, Davie, Tringrove, Swifte, Pike, Shipley, Bower, Woolley, McGaugran, Bell, Semple, Walker, Slide, Whitton, Harwood, Newall

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: GREEN, Norman George - 1918 VIC
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 16 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sjgreen,
  Welcome to rootschat  :)

Have you actually ordered the NSW divorce record yet?  If not I can photograph it for you tomorrow.

regards
  Ros

adding : you can probably cancel it if you applied recently
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
POSSIBLE living person quest
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 16 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi majm,

I selected "Unknown" when I requested the war record: B883.

I don't know if he's still alive or not. He would be 98 in February if he's alive, so I think its fairly unlikely. I wasn't meaning to breach his privacy and the rules. Is there a way to find out if he is still alive ?

Re the status of your Grandfather.   It is best to presume that he is still living, and that we all need to observe the RChat rules.    There's suggestions about seeking out the living at the thread that I linked earlier, so perhaps instead of concentrating on family history websites like RChat to find him, perhaps you may need to turn to social media or similar, or any of the family members with whom you are in contact.   I have living relatives who served in WWII who are more than 100 years of age, alive, alert and very focussed about protecting their personal information.   There's actually more than 4000 people aged over 100 who are currently living in Australia.   :) 

Red Post ..... I was about to send you a PM Ros, asking when you were next off to the Archives.... in case you could help here.  :)    I will try to figure out how to stop a PM. I have not pressed send but .... if it arrives, please ignore.

Cheers,  JM

Offline sjgreen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for NG Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 16 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi rosball,

That would be amazing if you could get a photo of it? I suspect it will take some time for it to arrive to me and I am in based in VIC not NSW.

Thank you so much I would really appreciate that.