Author Topic: Barriers To Genealogy In The Future  (Read 26811 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barriers To Genealogy In The Future
« on: Sunday 24 January 16 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Saw a quote by 3SillyDogs in another thread which meshed with some recent news and other random thoughts.

Quote from: 3SD
Record keeping may be better now, but as said with marriage on the decline and donors and surrogates and adoptions across cultures genealogy has the possibility to be even more entertaining/challenging for future generations

Then there is Simon Watson

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35262535

From 2012 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertold_Wiesner

In other recent threads and topics we have talked about Distinctive First and Middle names and how , while they seemingly should be easier to search, they are still difficult to find , due to at times mistranscribing names and a genuine belief that ''it should be spelt differently''

But what about '' bogan/chav/redneck  names'' or the African-American distinctive naming styles. How will future transcribers interpret DayShawna or Tiffernee or Bow?

While the offspring of Simon Watson and Bertold Weisner can be found through DNA it may not be easily recognized until a test is taken and a cuckoo event is spotted.

Then , as has been in the past, if the father isn't added to a BC what means do we have?

What other barriers can you see to genealogists in our families in 2215?

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Barriers To Genealogy In The Future
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 January 16 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Will genealogy programs accept same sex marriages/partnerships?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:06 GMT (UK) »
RootsMagic quite happily accepts a spouse of the same sex ;D
And, whether you add a marriage or not is your choice.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:08 GMT (UK) »
That's good to know. I feel this will become a more commonplace thing in our research in the future.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:12 GMT (UK) »
How will future family historians trace our "professional" welfare recipients, with multiple children from multiple fathers? Names on birth certificates may not be the same as those used in life.
This is not intended as a jibe or judgement, simply an observation.  :)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:20 GMT (UK) »
oh yes 5 children from 3 fathers etc?

As long as the documentation is correct then it should be ok

Another I have thought of , in line with this , are cuckoo events in Maintenance Orders. What do people think of compulsory DNA testing for ALL newborns?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:25 GMT (UK) »
In the future children will get an implant at birth (like dogs have) that can be scanned at any time,saying who their ancestors were back to 1700.They will also hold info such as blood group,allergies etc etc  ;D ;D ;D

If only they did that back in the 1800's,we'd all have our family histories done and dusted by now!

Carol (with her tongue firmly in her cheek)  8)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:31 GMT (UK) »
It is all a bit of a dilemma isn't it!  I'm thinking something I'm finding difficult to put into words here, but I'll, try, and see if you get my drift!  Pure fictional scenario but the way, but I think a distinct possibility.

A married woman, married for 3 years, gives birth to a child. Her husband is named as father, but this woman knows that there is a possibility that the father could also be one of two other men that she had a relationship with (unknown to her husband). So we have your "cuckoo in the nest".

Then we have other single mothers who may genuinely not know who the father is!  Certainly not unusual!  And you might get a woman who just creates a fictional father!

Maybe a simple DNA test to prove or disprove parenthood if a father is named, if it became compulsory, before registration, it may make people be a little more careful - but then the pill was supposed to take care of that one 😄

Surrogacy and donor, if not done openly and legally, could certainly prove to be a whole can of worms!

Don't know if I've actually been able to put my thoughts on it all into words, but as I said, you might get my drift! 😄

Five more replies while I was typing this, I'm not going to try and change it now"  ;D

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who gets replies in while they're still typing..... :)
I have joked for years that our kids will need to see DNA tests from their prospective partners, just to make sure there is no close family connection ( not inferring that I have any extras out there of course).