Author Topic: Thomas Scott - Clandeboye - murdered 1870  (Read 4991 times)

Offline KDB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Scott - Clandeboye - murdered 1870
« on: Sunday 17 July 05 03:23 BST (UK) »
Background: The murder of Thomas Scott was a critical nation-building event in Canadian history.  During the resistance of 1869-70, Scott was a recent arrival in the Red River colony (now Manitoba) who joined the counter-insurgency led by John Christian Schultz against Riel and the provisional government of the colony. Imprisoned twice following confrontations with the Metis, Scott, who had previously escaped, reportedly threatened violence towards Louis Riel following his incarceration. Riel ordered that Scott stand trial for insubordination before a military tribunal; he was found guilty, sentenced to death and executed outside the walls of Fort Garry (now Winnipeg) on 4 March 1870. Riel was subsequently captured, convicted, and hanged for Scott's murder.
My Dilemma: In tracing my Finley roots, I discovered that my G.Grandmother (Agnes Scott) was Thomas' aunt.  Agnes married Thomas (James) Finley in Bangor and emigrated to Canada in 1847.  I believe Agnes was from northern Down as articles written about Thomas indicated that his family were tenants of Lord Dufferin's Clandeboye estate.
Your Help: I'm hoping that someone researching the Scott family may have heard of Thomas and can provide further history on his and Agnes' families.
Thanks,
           Ken Bronson
        Toronto, Canada
Finley/Finlay                - Co. Down N.I.
McDowell                    - Co. Down N.I.
McGowan/McGown     - Co. Down N.I.
Montgomery               - Co. Down / Co. Fermanagh N.I.

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Scott - Clandeboye - murdered 1870
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 05 04:51 BST (UK) »
Ken:
In case you have not seen Ros Davies' wonderful site on Co. Down, here it is. As you will see, she has listed lots of Scotts. Perhaps one or more might ring a bell for you.  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Scott.htm

Good luck!

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline mrscrowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 21 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hello from Canada! I'm related to the Thomas Scott who was murdered by Riel. He is my great great great Uncle - or so I've been told! I have just resumed my rabbit hole search for his/my family roots, after taking a long break. I'm happy to share whatever I may find. The only thing I know for certain is that he had a brother named Hugh, and quite possibly a sister named Maria Jane, who is said to be married in to my family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 May 21 08:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, mrs. Crowe  :)

The original poster hasn't been online since 2006 but hopefully they will see your reply and post again.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KDB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 May 21 14:38 BST (UK) »
Mrs. Crowe

Delighted to see your post regarding Thomas Scott.  I'm excited to learn more of your connection to Thomas and the research you have gathered.  I had long thought the Hugh Scott living in Hastings Co. may have been a brother but didn't have definitive proof.

Regards,
Ken Bronson

Offline mrscrowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 May 21 18:49 BST (UK) »
I sent another reply which i think disappeared. But forgive me if you get 2 of them!
Anyhow, I have long known that Thomas was the uncle to my Grandfather's (James Houlden) Aunt Lenore "Nolie" Reid of Ontario. (Hamilton, I think) According to the family lore, Nolie often spoke of her uncle. I wish I had paid more attention as a child so I could recall those tales! The only written evidence I have is a newspaper article that my Grandpa copied and wrote in the margins of the family connection. As for his brother, Hugh, there's ample mention of him in various publications, especially of the letters of support he wrote to Riel and the authorities upon hearing of his brother's arrest. Also, Thomas left all his money to Hugh when he was murdered. I suspect I may have found another brother, James T Scott, who was the Grand Master at the British Hall of the Orange Lodge in St. John's. I have emailed the lodge (just last week) to inquire about my suspicions. I haven't gotten a reply yet. NB: I can't remember why exactly I thought this to be true, but I did find an old post-it note with a few details that I was to look up in the future. (That was 20 years ago!)
I have our family history traced back to 1800 on the side of John Crispin Sr, nicely bound in a book that someone painstakingly put together in 1987. I have contact information for Nolie Reid, well her descendants anyway. Some day I hope to connect with them to find out what they may know. Things are so much easier with websites like this, aren't they?
In the meantime, have you seen the documentary called Bloodlines? It was made years ago but often pops up on the History Channel. I'm featured in it, as a relative of Thomas Scott. In it, I meet many descendants of the people involved in the Riel Rebellion days.

Offline KDB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 June 21 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  I am wondering if you are from Northern Ireland??  I visited Co. Down and Fermanagh in pursuit of my Finley and Montgomery linage a few years back. 
I have't been able to find concrete evidence of the link between my gggrandmother, Agnes Elizabeth Scott (1812 - 1864) and Thomas. Census records indicate the she was born in Co. Down. A long departed family historian had passed down the story of the relationship and Thomas' visits to his aunts homestead in Huntingdon Twp.  There is mention of Thomas in Hastings Co. and the Loyal Orange Order has records of him attending lodge meetings with my ggranduncles prior to Thomas heading to north west Ontario and Red River country.  There was a fervent response from the L.O.O. after Thomas's execution and several members from joined the militia forces to support the government in quelling the Red River Rebellion.
I have seen the CBC documentary from 1979 "Riel" a few years ago but don't recall having view the "Bloodlines" feature that you mentioned. 
I would be interested in additional information you may have on Lenore 'Nollie' Reid and to whom of Thomas's siblings she descended.
All the best,
Ken