Author Topic: Marshall Phillips of the Shakespeare inn/hotel in Hulme Manchester  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Starbellywow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marshall Phillips of the Shakespeare inn/hotel in Hulme Manchester
« on: Monday 01 February 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello, first posting so hope I get it right!??
I am searching for information on the Shakespeare inn/ hotel on York street in Hulme. My great, great, great grandfather ran it in the mid to late 1800's carried on by my great, great grandmother.
I can find very little info online and just wondered if anyone knows what happened to it.

Many thanks

Jo

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall Phillips of the Shakespeare inn/hotel in Hulme Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 16 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :D

I have a 1939 street directory and the Shakespeare on York St was still going then, as a public house. It was building no 79 on the corner of York St and Camden St, run (in 1939) by Mrs Martha Tudor.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Starbellywow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Barbara! :)

I think at some point we will have a family trip to Manchester to look and research. But I would really like to do a bit of legwork now.

Does anyone know if Hulme is massively changed from I guess 1939 onwards? Are there maps I can look at to help? I feel like there is a wealth of knowledge out there that I could tap into if only I knew how :-\

Any help gratefully received  :)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi starbelly

Good idea to do some research here are some suggestions:

Manchester Historical Map: http://manchester.publicprofiler.org/beta/index.php

Book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Looking-Hulme-Chorlton-Medlock-Ardwick/dp/0946361347

Youtube (one of many);  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSReSn1WLV0

For archival information go to GMLives http://www.gmlives.org.uk/    Go to search and try 'Hulme'

The University area was bombed during WW2 and there was much redevelopment of Manhcester in the 1960's.  I don't believe you will see any of  Hulme as your g-g-g- grandfather did c. 1800

Lots of interesting information so good luck!  :)

Offline Starbellywow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello California

Thank you for the links. I seem to remember from my earlier research that because of changes and redevelopment it makes research quite frustrating and a bit tricky. But thank you I will delve into those later :)

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a couple of books about the pubs in Hulme,

Checking for the Shakespeare Inn/Hotel  it states Licensing date 1839 - 1965.
In 1839 it was a Public House - Taylor's Eagle Brewery
There is next to this an abbreviated sign LR which checking this states there are Licensing Records though it isn't quite clear about whether Licensees names are available?

79 York St - Shakespeare Inn from 1930 to 1965 Marstons.

There is a map in the book showing the position of the pub on the street.
Sadly it doesn't contain a photo of the pub.

You could try Manchester Images:  http://images.manchester.gov.uk

They have a few images of York St Hulme, it might be possible to spot in on one of them.
It does show old housing, but the area was redeveloped in the 1950's/60's but at least you get a sense of the housing.
There are also some books on Hulme - possibly a photo of a street with the Pub showing.

The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline JohnPhillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Starbelly,
Marshall was my Father's (Raymond Phillips) Great Uncle, and I had my Dad's Family history done for his 90th birthday a few years ago.
Dad sadly passed away in 2018, but although I am bobbins at family history, I assume we are related?
It has an extensive account on Marshall including news cuttings etc He was a 'lively character' by all accounts!
I'll see if I can attach the document for you.
Rosie (who did the family history) got the wrong Shakespeare in the picture, but I'm confident the rest of it is accurate.
I landed up in Hulme many yrs ago (born Sheffield) without any idea about all my Manchester ancestors, so the family history was a revelation...
Hulme has changed beyond recognition in the past hundred years, and has basically been flattened and rebuilt twice, so very little of Victorian Hulme remains.
I have a story about a scandalous 'Transvestite Ball' that was held on York St in 1880 which was raided by the police and became national news. I'm sure Marshall was involved, would love to see what you think.
Full PDF too big to attach, so just attached the Marshall pages and pics seperately
Thanks John Phillips

Offline Malm55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 February 21 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
Just seen your post re Phillips at The Shakespeare Hotel Hulme, I have spent some time trying to find any info on a JOHN PHILLIPS brn 1852 in Cork Ireland, he married a EMMA ELIZA BANKS FOSTER.
I’ve come across a death of a JOHN on 5th March 1893, the place of death was The Shakespeare Hotel York Street Hulme. Does this William have any connections to you. JOHN PHILLIPS was my late wife’s G/GFather
Thanks Malcolm

Offline JohnPhillips

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcom,
I attach my father's family tree showing Marshall and his son John who died in 1893, presumably at the Shakespeare as it was sold in 1894.
There is an Irish family connection, through another John Phillips, but not sure if it's of use?
I have the full write up with press cuttings etc as a PDF, but document limit of 500kb means I can't share it on here.
Thanks
(yet another) John Phillips!