Author Topic: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results  (Read 58089 times)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Re: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Actually Janann that is where DNA testing is most welcome.

One Name Studies set up discounts on DNA testing because of the opportunity to match paper and blood records. It should  , along with the paper records , find either the Foundation Sire , or narrow down the area to look in.

davidg02

The email I received asked ME to give my opinion...............So what I typed is MY OPINION.   No need to go questioning/arguing what everybody thinks.  It is an opinion. Thank you.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Have found my way back to 1500, which side of 1500 depends on how old my ancestors were when they made their wills in 1552 and 1558. All of that side of the family are from one small area in Buckinghamshire. The other side of the family is deep in the heart of Pembrokeshire for as far back as I can go. There is the rogue ancestor of Eliza Ann Smith and one of her partners, Callas Webb. CW's family go back to Cornwall and Eliza's are solid Hampshire.
Perhaps in the distant past someone from foreign parts settled in these areas and married into my families, perhaps not. Only DNA testing could find out, but I am not really interested enough to spend the money to find out.
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
.  The ethnicity aspect [My Origins] was fascinating. For example, two of my full brothers and I had very interesting results.  Attached is a clipping for my 2 siblings and I. 

That is what I don't understand. If you are full siblings how come the results are different as you all share the same parents, grandparents etc?

Because we inherit half of our genes from each parent and the genes we inherit are at random. If we inherited the same genes from our parents as our siblings we would be identical twins (or identical triplets etc etc)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:17 GMT (UK) »
At the present DNA testing is the most accurate test of relationships.This could be invaluable to prove a genealogical link.I can see no objection to anyone who volunteers to provide a swab.
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I have a tree which is approaching 17000 relations/ancestors but currently DNA testing doesn't interest me as it's too expensive. If the price drops considerably, I might give it a go.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline phil56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in DNA and have been thinking of taking a test for some time. I have held off because I am yet to be convinced about the quality and accuracy of the report. Really want to establish first if DNA test provides real value add to my family history research or basically a waste of money and time ?

Through traditional research methods, I have traced most of my family lines back to the 18th century, some earlier. I know my roots are 100% English in this time period, but there are a couple of family questions. One branch, Lloyd trace back to Birmingham, but it is believed they may have come from Wales, I wonder if a DNA test could prove this. Another branch, Bennett, trace back to the Fens in 17th century and family myth has it were descended from Huguenot's from Alsace and french name Benet, so again wondering if DNA test can prove this as well ?

I might take the plunge at the WDYTYA show this year, usually offer good prices there, if I can be convinced of the value of a test.
Hansford (Dorset, Southampton)
Bateman (Essex)
Wyeth (Hampshire)
Brown (Exeter before 1800, Winchester)
Gard (Devon, Bristol)
Tudball (Exmoor)
Furmedge (Winchester)
Tucker (Bristol)
Blois (Suffolk)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I have been asked to express my opinion about DNA Ethnicity results. I use DNA testing for genetic genealogical studies of mine, involvement/support to One-Name Studies, or deep clade testing. I view this as the helpful and serious side of DNA-use in genealogy. With regard to the ethnicity results, I view this a bit of fun and of no direct use. At least, I have read nothing that suggests there is anything worthwhile in terms of assisting genealogy.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Ethics rather than Ethnicity

I have not been tested and am skeptical about the ethics of the entire concept.  If siblings were done and noticed incompatibilities, wouldn't that undermine what had up until then, been a perfectly amicable relationship with each other and their parents?  How can there be tests which determine a percentage of Jewishness, if that were so, why not ones that indicate other religions and even agnostics?  Could America use such tests to identify those with terrorism potential and expel them before they cause havoc, or test prisoners to identify a criminal gene, enabling the chemical industry to employ vast teams of scientists dedicated to find a serum to keep it under temporary control rather than facilitate its eradication?   

Bringing things right back to serious basics, I have no idea if there is anything to be gained or not, or if it's just a fad like being in possession of the latest phone.  The test does not seem to be done at a cost or budget price and there are numerous band-wagon entrepreneurs offering additional services, so I get the gut feeling its main aim is to make somebody or bodies, richer.

Regards Roy G

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 13:24 GMT (UK) »
.  The ethnicity aspect [My Origins] was fascinating. For example, two of my full brothers and I had very interesting results.  Attached is a clipping for my 2 siblings and I. 

That is what I don't understand. If you are full siblings how come the results are different as you all share the same parents, grandparents etc?

Hello Groom

The answer lies in what DNA is passed on from both your mother and father.  Each sibling is unlikely to receive the exact same DNA segments but obviously receives enough to identify as full siblings.

There are DNA inheritance patterns and explained well on some sites on the web.  One I had a look at is  http://www.dnainheritance.kahikatea.net/

I suppose if we all inherited the exact same DNA segments from our mother and from our father then we would all be exact copies but were not. There are three kinds of DNA we can use for genealogy.

Mitochondrial DNA, carried by both males and females, is your mother’s mother’s mother’s line all the way up your tree until you run out of direct line mothers.

Y DNA, which only males carry, is inherited from the father’s father’s father’s direct paternal line which typically follows the surname. An easy to understand explanation at http://dna-explained.com/

Westy