Author Topic: Historical question  (Read 532 times)

Offline Sugarsnow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Historical question
« on: Thursday 04 February 16 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My grandfather died in Italy during WW2. In looking at his grave information, he is listed as a British citizen. However, he was Polish born, and never lived in the UK, just joined the RASC when he was freed in Algeria. My question is were foreigners given automatic citizenship when they joined? Would he have been granted citizenship posthumously?

Thanks!

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Historical question
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rooschat,
Many Polish service men were given British Citizenship during and after ww2 because of the Soviet gains in the east the allies agreed that Russia could keep its gains in Poland, which meant many Polish could not return to their homeland for fear of reprisals from the Soviets.
Polish airmen in the RAF made up the second largest group of non British personnel.
Over 1,000 Polish soldiers died at Monte Cassino,

I could go on but if you spend time googling variations of Polish in British Armed services ww2 you will get much info.and read the Polish Resettlement Act of 1947

The British and Allies owe the Polish military for their sacrifice.

James

Offline Sugarsnow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. While my grandfather was not in the Polish brigade, he was killed at Montecassino. I guess I didn't put the right phrases together for Google!

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
As Macintosh says the Allies owed and owe the Poles a lot. I had a good Polish friend c1930 to c1990. He was working in the Ostmark (Austria) or further east as the Soviets swept in from Rumania. The factory was blown up and the Polish workers were issued passes to retreat westwards. They ended up in Linz marshalling yards and were employed filling in bomb craters after Allied bombing raids which came up from Italy. When the Germans sent them out before the raids were over they had had enough and successfully walked south across the lines into Italy.

He was taken into a Polish unit. Then to UK (now talking generally) where they were housed in Army hutted camps. They were denied the honour of taking part in the victory parades, so as not to annoy Stalin. Most hoped to return to Poland and expected the Allies to turn on the Soviets and expel them. When it was realised that it was not going to happen, many Poles committed suicide.

The Poles in the UK were treated very well and offered vocational training courses in whatever they wanted. My friend became an architect and had a very good life style.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.