Author Topic: Duffy of Londonderry  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Kweiss62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duffy of Londonderry
« on: Sunday 07 February 16 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I have members of my family in a plot of the Derry cemetery. It appears that James Duffy 1827-1891 and Mary Duffy 1825- 1900 were married. I think they were probably the parents of my great grandfather James Duffy. My great grandmother Mary is buried there in 1899. My great grandfather went on to Glasgow, Scotland and I lost track of him.
Sorry for rambling. My question is does anyone know how I can be sure that James and Mary from late 1800s are my great great grandparents?

I plan to make a trip to Ireland in July and I would like to have most of my info compiled.

Thanks for your help.

Kathy Duffy Weiss

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy of Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Reading through a few of your posts I'm a bit puzzled  :-\

If I'm putting this together correctly then

James Duffy (c1827-1891) m. Mary (c1825-1900)
James m.(1875) Mary Quigg/McQuig (your great-grandparents)
? Duffy (1887) m.(1900 Glasgow) Esther Ferns (your grandparents)

Which makes your grandfather only 13 when he married?

It was explained about records from Derry City Cemetery on this thread- however, it wasn't clear if the name was Mary Quig, etc.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=706013.18

You can now view death certificates for this period online for a few credits- the helpful bits will probably be the home address and details of informant- but the details included are not as comprehensive as Scottish certificates.
See GRONI- https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kweiss62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 16 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I understand your confusion.

My grandmother Esther Ferns married two brothers. James Duffy  (1879) married Esther (1875) in 1900. When he died  (1913) leaving her 7 months pregnant with four children, my grandfather John (1887) stepped in to help. They traveled over to the USA and married in 1914 in NYC.

I was able to find birth and baptism records showing my GG James and GG Mary having five children including my grandfather and his brother James mentioned above. That ties up nicely.

In researching at the Derry Cemetery, I found another James and Mary Duffy. He appears to have been born in 1827 and she in1825. Age wise and the fact that they are buried in a family plot suggests they are the parents of My GG James Duffy. I wish I could find records to show when they were married and who were their children.
Rootsireland.ie provided me with the fact that James was born in Donegal and died on May 5, 1891 at the age of 64. His address was listed as Nailors row. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Kathy Duffy Weiss

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 February 16 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Derry City Cemetery have fantastic records. For a deceased person they will list name, age, residence, religion, parents and birthplace so it's well worth contacting them and asking for help to established who is buried in plot(s) you've found. I was there in person years ago but not sure what will happen if you phone them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 08:41 GMT (UK) »
They are very helpful.  You can email a lovely girl called Phyllis - (*)
I too had only a number like yours and she got me a lot of information.   Though they do charge for the search 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.