Author Topic: King Family, Motherwell - James, Thomas, Alexander, William Dick  (Read 9339 times)

Offline Joseph Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: King Family, Motherwell - James, Thomas, Alexander, William Dick
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 February 17 00:30 GMT (UK) »
The text relates to the photo of Windmillhill House.

Offline Joseph Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 February 17 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Here's what the New Century Theatre, Windmillhill Street, Motherwell looked like.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 February 17 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Just came across this old thread (obviously revived) & found it very interesting!

Great pic Joseph J.

From 'The text relates to the photo', I recognised the name Merry Street where my 2hd cousin (2 removes) was born 1893 (McKinnon family)  ;)

Now gives me an idea of the area etc.

Thanks,

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Scottishbricks

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 March 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello to everyone who has posted here. I am not a member of the King family but their association with the Scottish brick manufacturing industry of old interests me. I run the website www.scottishbrickhistory.co.uk and I have a page dedicated to the Kings

https://www.scottishbrickhistory.co.uk/the-kings-brick-makers-of-auchinlea-bellside-and-greenhill/

If anyone has any further info on the brick manufacturing aspect then I would love to hear from them. I am also available on brickmarks@gmail.com

Does anyone have any relevant photos?

very best regards

Mark

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 May 24 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia, I have been looking at this post on and off for a number of years now as I am connected to the King Family through John King born to John King and Margaret Neilson.  This couple are my 5 x Great Grandparents.  John King married Ann Connal (and spelling variants).  I am a descended from their daughter Elizabeth King (1792 - 1875) who married William Jamieson with this couple making their way to Australia after the 1851 Census and before 4 May 1854 when their daughter married Archibald McMillan / MacMillan and my cousin is descended through Janet King 1796 - 1876) who married Robert Gray.  Descendants from this couple also ended up in Australia (my cousin's family lineage) and also sons Robert Gray and Janet nee King also ended up in New Zealand.

First of all if this message comes to the eyes of Lodger, I sent you a PM on 31 March 2024 to let you know I was looking into the family of John King and Margaret Neilson and their children more thoroughly than the rough notes I have done over the years.

Although there has never been information located for John King which can confirm my descendancy from this chap, I have found my research is being questioned by a few King Family members.

Having taken a DNA test in August 2022 I am finding DNA connections to the families of John King and Margaret Neilson through the Neilson family and also through the King family through this couple's daughter Ann King 1744 who married William Neilson, James King (1745 - Abt 1798) who married Helen Hamilton (Abt 1756 - 1839) then through their son Alexander King (1784 - 1862)  who married Marion Boyce (1796 - 1873) and down the line to their descendants who also ended up in New Zealand, William King (1754) who married Jannet Cross (1754) through their daughter Bethea King and lastly Alexander King (who married Margaret Hinshaw (1791 - 1863) then through their daughter Margaret King who married William Reid (1789 - 1878) going to descendants to this couple.  Is it reasonable to cautiously believe that my connection with all these matches is that John King (1756 - Before 1816) as I am unable to find any other reason?

Continued following message

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 06 May 24 06:22 BST (UK) »
The only information I have for "my" John King is:

https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=CS271%2f74552&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=Ann+Connel&ko=a&r=&ro=s&df=&dt=&di=y

Reference   Title   Date
CS271   Court of Session: Bill Chamber Processes, Old Series   1670-1852

Country code   GB
Repository code   234
Repository   National Records of Scotland
Reference   CS271/74552
Title   Ann Connell (Connall, Connel) or King and others v Mary Connell or Fleming and others
Dates   1793
Access status   Open
Location   On site
Level   Item

CS271/74552 is a single folded sheet, referring to a John King, Farmer in Unthank and his spouse Ann Connell. There is also mention of an Anne Murray, spouse of the deceased George Connel, Bleacher, and a Margaret Connell, sister of Ann.

With the above document I have in my possession I was able to locate that Ann was actually born
First name(s):  Anne
Last name:  McConnell
Birth year:  1761
Birth date:  24 Oct 1761
Baptism year:  1761
Baptism date:  27 Oct 1761
Place:  Hamilton
County:  Lanarkshire
Mother's first name(s):  Anne
Mother's last name:  Murray
Father's first name(s):  George
Father's last name:  McConnell
Father Occupation:  Workman

as I have DNA matches through the sisters Mary Connell and Margaret Connell who are sisters of Ann/e, my 4 x Great Grandmother with descendants from their families.

The next action is between Mother and Son however I have never been able to locate a Birth / Baptism registration for John King who may have been born 1782 – 1786.:

https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=CS271%2f38164&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=Ann+Connel&ko=a&r=&ro=s&df=&dt=&di=y

Reference   Title   Date

Country code   GB
Repository code   234
Reference   CS271/38164
Title   John King v Mrs. Ann Connel
Dates   1816
Access status   Open
Location   On site
Level   Item

CS271/38164 is a Bill of suspension for John King at Milnton of Dalziel against Mrs Anne Connel at Fulwood. John is accused of owing Anne Connell 5 pounds sterling, for the purchase of a clock. It contains several pages stitched into a booklet.

John King mentioned here is the son of John (1756) and Anne McConnell mentioned above, my 4 x Great Grandparents.

I have the documentation for this Action which in part states:

My Lords of Council and Session unto your Lordships humbly Means and Shews your servitor John King at Milnton of Dalziel  That I am charged in virtue of Letters of Horning said to be dated and signed the 24th day of September last, and to be raised at the instance of Mrs Anne Connel, residing in Fulwood, to make payment to the said Complainer Anne “Connel of the sum of £5 Sterling allowed by the Decreet Arbitral pronounced in the Submission between you and her for purchasing a Clock with the lawful Interest thereof from the Sixteenth day of September last, the date of said Decreet Arbitral till paid.  Item of the sum of five pounds sterling at each term of ~ ~

Page 2

of Whitsunday and Martinmas from Whitsunday 1811 till Whitsunday last 1816, both inclusive with the lawful Interest thereof from the time each terms payment became due till payment deducting Five pounds paid on the     day of January 1813, and Thirty Pounds paid upon the Tenth day of March 1815.  As also to lay out the sum of Two hundred pounds Sterling on good Heritable or personal Security at the sight of James King now in Fairholm, William King Motherwell Mill and Alexander King in Milton and the said Complainer Anne Connel or their Quorum / Tutors nominated for the younger Children by Deed of Settlement referred ~ ~

Page 3

referred to in the said Decreet Arbitral

Continued following message

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 06 May 24 06:23 BST (UK) »
And lastly:

https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=CS271%2f1354&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=Ann+Connel&ko=a&r=&ro=s&df=&dt=&di=y

Reference   Title   Date

Country code   GB
Repository code   234
Reference   CS271/1354
Title   Ann Connell (Connal, Connall, Connel) v John King
Dates   1817
Access status   Open
Location   On site
Level   Item

CS271/1354 is again a single folded sheet and refers to a John King, lately prisoner in the Tolbooth of Hamilton, and an action against him by Mrs Ann Connel residing at Fullwood.

I have looked high and low for the documents mentioned in the actions above between John King and his Mother Ann Connel dated  1816 and 1817.

Would someone be able to direct me on where to look at I have trolled through National Archives, ScotlandsPeople etc.

I am keeping my fingers crossed something may come to light to be proof positive in relation to John King (1756) once and for all.

Kind regards
Judi