Author Topic: An oldie's lament  (Read 3625 times)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: An oldie's lament
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I agree...........I have the unusual circumstance of a direct male ancestor who had his first child of his second marriage baptised ' Grace' after his first wife who died a couple of years earlier.

Could be confusing for a researcher, especially if the rest of his children were named Patronymically.

- Alan.
It was confusing Alan ........ took a long while,and rootschatter' s help to pin it down.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 19 February 16 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your feedback, though I have to say that I have calmed down and found my way back to some old familiar pathways in Ancestry, many of them as absorbing as ever. I did resign from my full membership, however, once I realised that Fold3 and newspapers.com were of no use to me.

I have learned to take the public family trees with a grain of salt because many of them simply mimic vaguely inaccurate information picked up from other people. The most worrying example was a verified ancestor of my husband's married off to someone in Orlando, Florida which he, most decidedly, was not.

Should I just ignore it, or make an effort to set the record straight?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 19 February 16 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Probably not worth trying. "They" ( i.e.: the people who blissfully adopt whole forests of ancestors) never seem to take any notice.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 19 February 16 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.

From my perspective, with regard to this person, if you don't publish your findings, it is not then open to peer and family review.

Does not have to be directly with the platform carrying the info you believe to be incorrect, as search engines are very good at finding people named in search quests.

In the past [1980's] I notated a leading libraries index card, and supplied the library a reference that proved an early newspaper article named the wrong migrant. In another instance I've made many references to a photo in a popular local history book, where the image was reversed in the printing process, but not the subjects naming caption.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.